Chapter 8

Prince Casimir left Logain alone in their room for the night. After the prince paid for a room and food, he told the other man that he was going out. He didn't tell him where he was going and Logain didn't ask. As far as he was concerned, it was none of his business. The prince could do whatever he wanted.

Logain was used to being alone, so he wasn't bothered by being left in the room. The only problem was that Logain was restless. He slept for so long earlier that now he couldn't get comfortable lying down. There wasn't anything in the room that he could use for entertainment and without the prince there with him he didn't have anyone to speak to. He didn't want to be stuck in that room until the prince came back either. The prince could be gone for hours. With a sigh, Logain got off of the bed and left the room.

He didn't have any idea where he would go. He could walk around town, but that might be a bad idea at night time. There were people out there who might try to harm him. He couldn't trust the people that he met strolling around the town at night. People were dangerous. He also didn't want to run into Tristan again. That man was bad news.

Logain was at the entrance of the inn that they were staying at. He was about to leave when a red cape caught his attention.

A blonde woman sat at one of the tables in the tavern with a man across from her. The man laughed at whatever she said. The woman was older now and he hadn't seen her in years, but Logain knew who she was. That was a face that he could never forget.

Logain approached her to greet his old friend. When she saw him approaching, Little Red Riding Hood gave him a big smile. The man, Darren, watched as she stood up to meet Logain. She embraced him when he was within arms reach.

The last time he had seen Red was when he first met Princess Selene. From Red, Logain learned that the princess was in love with Sebastian. He already knew that he didn't have a chance with the man, but when he learned the princesses feelings for his friend he was heartbroken once again. His friend would be taken away from him because of a girl. He suspected that it would happen eventually, but it still hurt. He was glad that they were happy together, though.

Red had been a good friend to him since he met her. She was kind to him from the beginning, even when she learned his secret. He met her when he was hired to find out who she was. The man who hired him was her target. Red was an assassin. Logain was glad that he didn't turn her in. If he did, Red would be dead right now and their kingdom would have been under someone else's rule. Lucas wouldn't be the king that they now had.

She smiled at him, but there was worry on her face. "Logain, what are you doing here? You shouldn't be out in your condition."

Red knew about his sickness. He wasn't the one to tell her, but he was sure that Princess Selene mentioned it to her. They were close, almost like family. Selene told Red just about everything. He wouldn't be surprised if that was where she learned it from. Logain would have told her anyway. She was a good friend of his, so he didn't mind. She probably could tell that something was wrong just by the way that he looked.

"Don't worry about me, Red. I'm fine. I'm accompanying Prince Casimir back to the castle." When he was around Red, he felt like he could tell her anything. Since the first time he met her he knew that she could be trusted. Though they were on different sides when they first met, he was glad that things turned out the way that they did. She might have been an assassin for a living, but she was a good person. She only killed people who didn't deserve to live.

She crossed her arms over her chest. "How can I not worry about you? You're my friend. I'm kind of surprised that you're traveling with the prince, though. Is Casimir treating you well?"

Logain shrugged. "He's nice to me, I guess. He's a little annoying at times."

She chuckled. "That's not what I meant. I mean as a . . . partner?"

He looked at her in shock. She was only teasing him, right? She couldn't possibly think that something was going on between the two of them. Red knew his secret and since she was close to the royal family she obviously knew things about Prince Casimir. But that shouldn't make her think that they were traveling together because they were a couple.

"N-no, you got it all wrong. Casimir and I aren't together. Sebastian and Selene asked me to get the prince because he's been gone for a week. I just met him the other day." Logain could feel himself blushing and he was starting to feel flustered. People kept jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Red frowned. "I see. That's a shame. So that annoying warlock and his wife sent you out here when they know that you are sick? I know that they're trying to do something good for you, but they should know better when you're in this state. I'll have to have a chat with them the next time I go to the castle."

She highly disapproved of what they did, but she didn't have much of a say. Logain was stuck here without the use of his magic. He couldn't teleport home if he wanted to. He had to travel like normal humans did.

"Where is the prince?" Red asked. She didn't see him with Logain and she didn't see him leave the tavern earlier.

"I'm not sure. He told me to stay in our room and that he would be back soon. He didn't tell me where he was going." What would the prince say if he came back and saw that Logain wasn't in their room anymore? He couldn't expect him to stay there until he returned. Before she could ask him any more questions, Logain asked something instead. He was curious. "What brings you here, Red?"

He assumed that she was in this town because of a contract. Red was the first assassin that people came to when they needed someone dead. She was with Darren, though. Logain knew that Darren and Red were a couple, but they didn't make it official. Red still didn't want to settle down with someone. As an assassin, she really couldn't. The moment she let her guard down someone might try to get revenge on her. She did kill many people, after all. Relatives, lovers, or friends would hold a grudge against her for the things that she did.

The answer she gave him wasn't one that he expected.

With a smirk, Red said, "I'm hunting the Undead King."