Chapter 7

Logain regained most of his strength the more that he walked. He was still tired, but now he was hungry. He didn't want to complain, though. There wasn't much that they could do until they reached the next town. That would require money . . . Logain didn't have much on him and he didn't want to ask the prince. He already helped him more than he expected him to.

When they reached the town, Casimir asked, "Wanna get something to eat? I'm starving."

The warlock was relieved, but he felt a bit bad. Logain reached into his pocket and pulled out the few coins that he had. It wasn't much, but it was all that he could afford right now. When he tried to hand the coins to Casimir, the prince shook his head and refused to take them.

"Keep your money. I'm treating you, so you don't have to pay. Don't worry about it." Casimir put an arm around Logain's shoulder. The action came naturally to the prince, but it made Logain feel odd. Was it really okay to act this way in public? It was a friendly gesture, nothing more.

Casimir kept his arm there for longer than necessary. Logain moved away from him. He didn't want people to get the wrong impression. He didn't know how the prince could act so casually like that with so many people around. Was he not worried that they would judge him? If the people found out that he was their prince, then they would talk. Word might get back to the castle before they did.

Casimir pouted at him and was about to say something, but before he could one of the townsfolk walked up to them. The prince scowled when he saw the man. The man ignored him, his attention set on Logain. The warlock didn't know who he was, so he was confused as to why this man seemed so excited to see him. No one was ever happy to see him.

The man stopped in front of Logain, a look of awe on his face. He grabbed Logain's hand to see if he was real. "Wow . . . you're beautiful."

Logain blushed at the man's words. What was wrong with this guy? Logain pulled his hand out of the man's grasp. The man looked startled at his action. After seeing Logain he forgot that he needed to act civilized. This was no way to treat someone that he just met.

Prince Casimir got in between the two. He tried to block Logain from the man's view as best as he could. He frowned at him. "Tristan, what the hell do you think you're doing?"

The prince sounded angry at the man. The man, Tristan, looked surprised to see the prince. He averted his eyes and scratched the back of his head. Logain was confused as to what was transpiring. Obviously, they knew each other. He wondered how, though. Perhaps they were old friends, but Casimir didn't seem very fond of this man.

"I-I'm sorry, Prince Casimir. It's just that . . . have you seen him? He's a warlock! You know how long I've been looking for one of those? Warlocks and witches are so hard to find nowadays. Oh please, may I have him?" Tristan looked at the prince with hope in his eyes.

What the hell? Logain wasn't property! He was offended that this man could so easily ask for him like he could be bought. Warlocks and witches weren't something that could be put on display. This man had a lot of nerve if he thought that his kind were nothing more than a treasure he could obtain.

"I know what he is and I am not giving you to him. He is not something that can be bought. He is a human being like you and me. You need to get it through that thick skull of yours that people are not property. He has thoughts and feelings, too. I don't own him and neither will you." Casimir put his arm around Logain's waist and started to drag him away.

Tristan started to follow behind him. He was persistent. "Warlocks aren't like us. They're a rarity. If I owned a warlock then do you realize how powerful I could become? They can give you anything that you want. You have one and so does your sister. Maybe you two should make use of them and stop trying to treat them as our equals. If you make them think that they are our equals, they will take advantage of you. If you're not going to use him for what he's meant for, then give him to me."

Logain clenched his hands into fists. Hearing this man speak about the magic folk in such a way infuriated him. Did this man not realize how powerful warlocks and witches were? If he had all of his power, this man would be dead with the snap of his finger. The magic community could be in charge if they wanted to, but they had their rules. People like this man were part of the reason why warlocks and witches didn't come out. They stayed in hiding. One of them would kill this man the moment he uttered a word, which would get them in trouble. They couldn't afford for the humans to start hunting them. They were dwindling in numbers enough as it was.

Casimir turned one last time to face the man. His eyes showed pure hatred. "Stay away from Logain or you will regret it."

With that, he pulled Logain away from the man once again. This time, Tristan didn't follow them. He watched them go with an idea forming in his head.

When they were far enough away, Casimir let go of the hold he had on Logain. He held him tightly beside him until now, which Logain didn't complain about. The prince stood up for him when he didn't have to. Casimir could have given him to Tristan to be rid of him, but he didn't. He was grateful for that.

"Casimir . . . thank you." Logain was still upset over what Tristan said, but at least he had Casimir there with him. He didn't know what he would do if the prince weren't there beside him. In his state, he didn't think that he would be able to fend the man off if he tried anything.

Casimir looked at the warlocks face for a moment. He was taking in his hurt expression and how much the man angered him. He was still shaken over the encountered. He reached out to him, his hand taking a strand of Logain's red hair. He ran his hand down his hair until he brushed up against Logain's cheek. It was warm to the touch.

Logain recoiled from the shock of his touch. He wasn't expecting the prince to act like that in public. Unlike before, this wasn't something that friends did. Anyone passing by would jump to the wrong conclusion. Prince Casimir might have been comfortable touching other men like this, but Logain wasn't. He was sure that his face gave away how much it bothered him.

"I'm here for you, Logain. Listen . . . Stay away from that man. He isn't a very good person. I doubt that he will try to do anything to you. He's not that stupid to mess with a warlock knowing how powerful they can be. But if he finds out that you are sick, then he might try something." Casimir sounded like he cared about Logain.

Logain looked down. He knew that Casimir was only trying to help, but he wished that he would back off a little. He was a touchy prince, which Logain didn't like all that much. At least, not while they were in public.