Logain's True Feelings

Logain and Sebastian walked away from Briar Rose's castle. The castle was overrun by thorns and getting inside was nearly impossible. The witch confined herself in the castle. She put everyone to sleep, including herself. She thought that Sebastian was to blame for it, but he was only trying to help her. He was trying to help her control her powers and she would not listen to him. Now she was cursed. It was her own fault that this happened to her.

They barely escaped her magic. The two of them were lucky to make it out of there alive before the curse got them, too. The only thing that would wake Briar Rose was true love's kiss.

"No one will ever love that girl. She did this to herself and now it will be impossible to break the curse. Anyone who tries to get into that castle will be killed by the thorns," Logain commented. He didn't care what happened to her. He only tagged along because Sebastian asked him for help.

"Perhaps. I believe that anyone is capable of love and being loved in return. I wouldn't say that it is impossible. Magic has a funny way of working. With time, someone will come along and save her." He didn't mention that if too much time passed then she would die once the curse was broken. He didn't want to talk about something so morbid.

Logain shrugged. Sebastian tried to be optimistic about it, but Briar Rose's well-being meant little to Logain. He was more worried about himself and what would happen to him in the future. His mother told him about the curse once he hit his teens. Now as an adult, Logain thought about the curse more often. He was still young for a warlock so the curse wouldn't start affecting him until much later in his life. He hoped that by then he would find a way to reverse the curse. It seemed like there were many curses going around these days.

"Enough about Briar Rose. How are you feeling, Logain?" Sebastian asked.

Sebastian always asked how Logain was feeling. He found out about the curse and since then he was looking out for him more than ever. He always asked how he was feeling, most likely to see if the curse was taking a toll on him. Logain didn't feel any different, not yet anyway. He still felt his power and how strong it was inside of him.

"I'm fine. I think that we have awhile before we actually have to worry about it." Logain felt his heart begin to flutter slightly. Lately, he was starting to feel this way whenever he was with Sebastian. He didn't say anything to the other man. He was scared of what he would say.

"We'll find a way to save you before that happens, I promise." They had been looking for awhile, but nothing ever worked. There was still plenty of time to find the right thing that would save him.

They continued on in silence as they walked farther away from the castle. Briar Rose could only be saved by true love's kiss. Logain wondered if the same thing could save him.

As they walked, Logain took a hold of Sebastian's hand. As kids, they held hands all of the time but things were different now that they were older. Logain knew that he shouldn't hold another man's hand like this, but he couldn't help it. He wanted to be close to Sebastian. His feelings developed into more than just friendship over the years.

Sebastian pulled his hand away. "What are you doing? You've been clingy lately. Is there something bothering you?"

Logain's heart hurt when Sebastian pulled away. Something was bothering him, but he couldn't openly tell him. He couldn't tell him his true feelings. He hoped that Sebastian would have gone with it, at least for a little while. There was no one else around to see them.

"I wanted things to be like they were before . . ." Logain said, but that wasn't entirely true. He wanted more than just friendship like when they were children.

"Things can't be like that, though. We're grown men now, not children. It's one thing for boys to hold hands as children, but you don't see adults doing this. I'm sorry, but I don't want people to get the wrong idea. We're just friends and holding hands will make them think otherwise."

"What's wrong if they think otherwise?" Logain didn't mean to say this out loud, but it was too late to pretend like he didn't say anything.

Sebastian sighed. "You can't be serious. Logain, we're not holding hands. Why are you acting this way?"

Logain stopped walking. Sebastian looked back at him in confusion. Now was his time to say it. If he didn't, then he might never have the courage to say it. Logain had a feeling that he would have his heart broken. Any time he tried to show affection, Sebastian would either ignore him or tell him to stop.

"Sebastian, I love you."

Everything seemed to become quiet in that moment. He was ready for his friend to be disgusted by him and walk away. He waited for his response and was surprised when Sebastian gave him a smile. It was a sad smile, though. It was one that showed pity.

"I promised that I would protect you, but I guess I can't protect you from myself and the pain that I am about to cause you. Logain, I love you, but not in the same way that you love me. I can never see you as anything more than a friend. I'm sorry."

Logain knew that it would hurt, but hearing the words hurt more than he expected. His heart shattered. He loved Sebastian so much, yet he would never have the chance to be with him. He couldn't force Sebastian to love him.

"Hey, don't cry. I might not have romantic feelings for you, but I will always be your friend. I said that I will never leave you and I won't." Sebastian reached up and wiped away Logain's tears. Logain didn't notice that he was crying until now.

Rejection hurt more than he anticipated. If only he weren't in love with another man, let alone his best friend. Things could never be the same between them after his confession.

Sebastian put his arms around Logain and pulled him into a hug. He kissed Logain's head and said, "You are my best friend, Logain. I will do whatever I need to in order to help you find happiness. I don't want things to change between us."

But things would change. Logain knew it and Sebastian did, too.

----

So this is Sebastian's rejection and this was where they had their falling out. Sebastian promised Logain that he would stay by his side, but he doesn't. Logain eventually leaves, but I don't think I will write this part. Maybe something that happens afterward, but I'll need to think about it.

As the author, I try to not ship my characters. As much as I love Casimir, I honestly ship Logain and Sebastian. But as we know, they can never be together ):