Chapter 12

He wanted to catch up with Red. This stop would make them fall behind even more. At least when they were with Red they were going at a good pace. But no . . . once again, the prince had to do something to slow them down. Typical.

How did Casimir ever get anything done? He was too busy procrastinating more than anything else.

"Prince Casimir, where are we going? We should be heading back to the castle." Logain knew that it was pointless to even say anything to the prince, but he tried nonetheless.

Casimir just smiled at him. "Come on, try to have a little fun! Wouldn't you rather die happy and not so miserable? You're always serious. Try to have a little fun once in awhile. Trust me, you'll love this."

"Thanks for reminding me that I'm going to die," Logain muttered. The prince meant no harm by his words, but it still bothered him. He didn't need the reminder and even though he wanted to get back at the task at hand, he decided to not argue with the prince. It would be a losing battle for him and he would only be wasting his breath.

The prince took his hand and dragged him farther into the forest. Logain dreaded running into any wild creatures or even bandits. Bandits were known to often ambush people who wander into the forest. If they saw the prince then they would surely be a target. It was clear to see that Casimir was a prince. He couldn't hide it with his fancy clothes.

They walked for a little bit before they came upon a lake. The moment he saw it, he could see what set it apart from any ordinary lake. The lake was crystal clear and orbs of different colors floated in the air. Despite not having the use of his magic, he could feel how magical this place was.

"Are those . . . fairies?" Logain asked. They weren't too close to make the floating orbs flee, but Logain was sure that they were fairies. He only ever had the chance to see them from afar before. Fairies didn't go around humans. At least, they wouldn't go near the prince. Since Logain was a magical being he would be able to get close to them, or at least he hoped.

Prince Casimir nodded. "I found this place a long time ago, when I was still a child. Since my dad is king, he had to travel a lot to the other kingdoms. Whenever we would pass by I would come here. I love to explore and one day I found this place. At first, the fairies would hide when I'd come here, but I think that they have gotten used to my presence. This is one of the places that I can go whenever I need to escape. I can't always understand what they're saying to me, but I think that they have accepted me."

It was rare for fairies to accept humans, but it wasn't impossible. If Casimir came here often and didn't pose a threat to them, then they would let him come as he pleased. They would never completely trust him, though. He was still a human at the end of the day. Logain doubted that they would completely trust him either.

"Let's get closer to them," Logain said. He wanted to see the fairies up close, even if it was only a glimpse. They might hide at the sight of someone new.

With the warlocks hand still in his, Casimir tugged Logain closer to the lake. As they got closer, the fairies became aware of their presence. They scattered in all different directions at the sight of the two men. Logain was disappointed, but he expected as much. He was a new face to these creatures. He might have been a warlock, but they were still afraid of him.

The disappointed look on Logain's face made Casimir sad. He didn't think that showing him this would have this sort of result. He thought that this would have made him happy. Maybe it would have if the fairies didn't hide from them.

He wanted to make things better. He took a deep breath and said to the creatures, "It's okay. There's nothing to be afraid of. This is my friend Logain. He doesn't mean you any harm. I know that you don't like strangers, but trust me on this one. Logain is a good person. He just wants to see you. Please, come out. I want to make him happy."