Chapter 6

When Prince Casimir woke up the next morning, Logain was still sleeping on top of him. He looked like he was in a deep sleep. The prince didn't want to disturb him. As gently as he could, Casimir moved his body. He knew that Logain was against sleeping on the ground. He couldn't do much to help with that, but he removed his jacket and rolled it up into a makeshift pillow.

That would have to do for the time being. By the time he returned Logain should be awake. Casimir grabbed his pack and pulled out his bow and arrows. He brought them just in case he would need them and it looked like he would now. He didn't expect to have company on his journey, but he was glad that he came prepared. He would hunt for a short while and return when he caught something. Casimir was always good with a bow. He didn't doubt his ability to catch something. Making a fire to cook what he caught, on the other hand . . . That would be the challenging part.

Hopefully, the warlock wouldn't freak out when he woke up and saw that Casimir was gone. He left his stuff at their camp, so Logain shouldn't think that the prince left without him. He would say something before he decided to part ways. That wouldn't be for awhile, though. He wouldn't say goodbye until they reached the castle.

After what Logain told him last night, Casimir felt slightly bad for causing him trouble. They were only with each other for a little over a day, but, somehow, the boy made him feel this way. Casimir never felt bad when he dealt with people and caused them trouble. He annoyed people like this for fun. Perhaps he was feeling bad because of Logain's sickness. If the boy weren't dying, then things would be different.

Maybe it was wrong of him to make the warlock travel with him for a month. He didn't know how much longer he had to live. While thinking about this, Casimir made up his mind. In the month that they had together until they reached the castle, Casimir would make the boy happy. He would be a good friend to him.

Now he needed to figure out how to be a good friend.

As a prince, he never had a friend. Not a good friend, anyway. Most of the people that he made friends with only wanted him for his title and money. They didn't care about him as a person. Everyone only cared about him as a prince. It was rather lonely.

Of course, he had his four younger brothers and sister. But there were things that he couldn't tell them. If his brothers found out his secret then they would want the throne. His brothers were good people, but they would fight to become king. As the oldest, he automatically had the right as king. Like he told Logain last night, though, he didn't want to become king. He wouldn't be happy. He would be forced to marry a woman and a heir would be expected. As a king, he would have to uphold the expectations set on him. He didn't want that sort of life, but he was scared of telling his parents. They wouldn't hate him because of it, but they would be disappointed. They wouldn't let him become king. He either had to accept his fate or tell them the truth.

Telling them the truth would be easier if he had someone that he loved. He didn't have someone who he could give up the throne for. There was a servant boy that he was fond of at the castle, but that relationship didn't last long. The servant told him that he didn't want to see him again when they were caught by Princess Selene. At first, it hurt whenever he saw him. He was over it now. Instead of trying to find someone, Prince Casimir settled for one night stands. He didn't want to get his heart broken again.

Prince Casimir sighed. He didn't want to think about this right now. He needed to catch something for them to eat. If he took care of Logain, then maybe they could be friends. It would hurt when Logain died, but he needed a friend right now even if it was only for a short time.

He spotted a deer in the distance. He could hunt that, but then he'd have to drag it back to camp. If only something small would show itself . . .

Luck must have been on his side. A rabbit hopped a little ways from him. He drew his bow and stepped closer. He had to be careful to not startle it. If he scared it then he might have to return with nothing. He didn't want to do that. He was sure that Logain would be hungry when he returned to camp, so he didn't want to go back empty-handed. He felt like he needed to take care of him.