Chapter 1: The Beginning.☑️

Veronica's POV

In the beginning, it was just mom, dad and I. Then, my little sister was born when I was 3 and my little brother when I was 5. I remember dad always telling me bedtime stories about the supernatural.

Vampires, werewolves, and witches were all a myth.....or so I thought.

But before I get into that, I wanna tell you about my life.

Hi, my name is Veronica Amarie Gilbert. I am 19 years old and I have a little sister, Elena, and a little brother, Jeremy.

Elena is the type to—how do I say this nicely—always get her way. She's one of those 'what I say, goes' types of girl.

My baby brother on the other hand is quite a handful. I don't think mom and dad know that he's becoming a druggie. I caught him smoking in his room yesterday while I was visiting for the weekend.

And always being the best big sister that I am, I promised that I wouldn't say anything unless they question me about it.

Tonight was family night for the first time in a few months.

Mom and dad were in the kitchen cooking—well, dad was cooking. Mom was just watching as she drank her wine. I plop myself on the couch when my phone dings. I take the phone out of my back pocket and read the screen.
Bri~ Hey so I heard there's a party in the woods by Wickery Bridge. Any of you up for it??
Lil~ Oooh! I'm in! What about you V?

I think about it for a minute and look back to where my parents stood. The sight of them laughing and holding each other always warms my heart, but it always makes it ache for what I'm missing out on. I stare blankly at my phone before texting back.

Me~ Sorry. I wanna spend time with my parents. And plus, it's family night, so you guys know how that goes.
Bri~ Oof! The champ needs to keep her winning streak! Don't sweat it. We can hang some other time. Just the 3 of us.
Lil~ Yeah. Just like old times sake!
Me~ Thanks for understanding guys. You know I love you both, right??
Bri~ And we love you more hot cakes! ;*
Lil~ I've loved you more than I love food for years, and that's saying something XD <3

I smirk and lightly giggle at their messages. I honestly don't know what I would do without them both.

The doorbell rings bringing me back into focus.

"I wonder who that could be." Mom says with a smirk, placing her wine glass on the counter next to dad.

I look at her confused, but grin when I realize the potential guests hiding behind the door.

Swiftly moving around the couch, I hop up the one step to the door and open it, only to get the wind knocked out of me. I land on my back with an "Oof!"

Copper blonde hair fans over me, telling me everything I already know about my attacker.

"Really, Jen?! You couldn't just use your words?"

Aunt Jenna lifts her head to laugh in my face, mom and dad echoing that beautiful sound in the background.

"How could I possibly use only words when it comes to my partner in Crime?"

I smirk as I roll my eyes and flip us on our sides so Jenna was no longer suffocating my already full bladder. She wraps her leg around mine and we embrace each other whilst laying on the ground.

"Alright you two. Shut the door before you let bugs in the house!" Mom giggles as she walks over to us. I tilt my head up to look at her and stick my tongue out like a little kid and dad stifles a chuckle. Mom raises her perfectly arched brows and pokes her hip out as she stands over her little sister and I.