Chapter 5: Night of the Comet ☑️

Damon's POV
After leaving Veronica, I went to the hospital to steal a couple blood bags then went to my car to rest for the night. I know what your thinking, 'just go to the boarding house', or 'compel someone to sleep in their house or a hotel room'... but if I sneak into the boarding house to sleep in my own bed, I wouldn't want to risk Zach or Stefan finding me just yet, and quite frankly, I don't want to waste my breath or money in tips.

I finally got settled in the backseat of my car when my phone starts to vibrate. I groan and roll my eyes as I was on the brink of sleep, but my mood did a 180 when I see the caller I.D. "You really love hearing my voice don't you?"

Veronica sucks her teeth and I imagine her eyes are rolling. "Fine I guess you don't want a warm place to sleep then."

How did she... "Wait!" There is a stifled giggle. "I'm listening..." I say sitting up with a smirk as I start to put my boots and my leather jacket back on.

"Well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you're sleeping in your car, so I was thinking, as your newly found best friend, you can stay here for the night until you make your grand debut to your family."

I genuinely smile at her kindness. "I'll be there in 2 minutes. Open your window." I end the call and climb out of my convertible. It honestly confuses and annoys me how easily this girl makes me feel more alive and human than Katherine ever attempted.

I lock the car just in case these idiotic pot-headed teens would be partying in the woods tonight and speed to the Gilbert house. There is only one light on, from a room next to an apricot tree with a small balcony.

A perfectly shaped silhouette could then be seen walking towards the window, and the blinds were yanked out of the way by its string. My eyes were blessed in a matter of seconds as I stared at her. Our eyes immediately connect and she and I share genuine smiles.

I didn't take a second longer to climb the tree and step onto the balcony. "If anyone just witnessed this, they'd think I'm up to no good or they just got major Romeo and Juliet vibes."

I chuckle and play along as I quote, "This bud of love, by summer's ripening breath, may prove a beauteous flower when next we meet."

Veronica snickers as she leans on the windowsill, "I never would've depicted you as a Shakespearean." I give her a crooked smile, "Broken English is interesting to unwind, but I'm more of a classic kind of guy. Mainly Gone with the Wind."

I'm gifted with yet another giggle as she openly requests, "Come in here already."

"Eager are we?" I smirk devilishly, causing her cheeks to become a deep crimson. I duck my head under the window and slide through the barrier with ease. Glad we skipped that awkward 'invite me in' phase.

"You—You know what I mean." She states as she crosses her arms with a small smile. I chuckle as I slip off my jacket and place it on the window seat, "Relax, I was just messing with you, Baby V."

She sat down on her bed and I let my eyes wonder around every square inch of her room. It was very minimalistic and clean with a wall of photos of her family and friends. "Cute room."

She quickly looks around, probably making sure nothing was out of order before replying, "Thanks. I just redecorated. Figured it was time to get rid of the childish posters and knickknacks and start living in an adult environment."

"It suits you perfectly." I compliment as I slide my boots off and plop on the bed. Veronica looks back at me and shakes her head as she gets up to toss me a remote. "Watch whatever you want, I'll make us something to snack on. And if you hear any noise, hide under the bed so you don't get caught."