Chapter 11: "normal" life☑️

Veronica's POV
I look around the room at the neutral cream colored furniture and then to the blank white walls. Damon was putting together the bassinet when I come to a realization. "Come to think of it, I never set up an appointment to check on the baby. Do you think a normal doctor would pick up on anything...abnormal...like baby fangs?"

Damon chuckles. "I'm sure the baby is normal—for now. And I made the appointment for you—later today."

Always being thoughtful of me. I smile and lean down to kiss his cheek. I'm now four and a half months pregnant and showing just a little bit. You could probably tell if I wore tight fitting clothes, but I didn't want people to notice just yet, so I wear Damon's shirts.

"Maybe we can find out the gender. I don't want everything white. I want him or her to look around and see home, not a hospital room." I sicker. Damon stands up and ties the mobile to the bassinet and rolls it to its spot next to the rocking chair. He then moves behind me and slides his hands over my belly as we admire our future baby's nursery.

"Twelve weeks is the mark to start finding out the gender, and you're well enough over that, so I don't see why not. And quite frankly, I want to know so I'm prepared." I smile brightly and interlock my fingers over his when there was a light knock on the open door. I look over to see Jenna smirking at us both.

"Hey, kiddo. Just came up to tell you that your dad should be back from his clinic in a few hours and your mom gets off early today. Don't worry, I'll keep them out of here until the room is completely finished."

I nod and watch her walk out of sight before turning my attention back to baby Gilbert-Salvatore's room. "We should get going if we want to make our appointment on time." Damon states and kisses my temple. I've been wanting to ask him more about this getting Katherine out of the tomb thing, but I'm scared if I do, he'll say something I don't want to hear.

In the car, we pull up to an all too familiar house instead of a hospital or clinic. "What are we doing here? I thought you said we were going to a doctors appointment."

Damon parks in the drive way. "We do have a doctors appointment—with the witch doctor. Come on." He smirks and speeds to my side, opening my door for me. I get out and walk up the steps as the door swings open. "My sweet child. What have you gotten yourself into?"

I smile at the curly haired woman I've considered my family for my entire life. "Hi Grams."

Sheila and I embrace in a loving embrace before I pull back to hold her hands in mine. "Your Salvatore here called earlier. Wanted me to use my past nursing skills to give you a check up. And I wouldn't usually do this for Vampires—you know how much I hate vampire business, but I'll always do anything for my sweet girl."

I smile at Damon and then at Sheila. "Thanks, Grams. And I know you don't like him, but he's really trying. Trust me." Grams steps outside and closes the door. "Hmm. I'll believe it when I see it myself."

She walks us around to the green house where she cleared and cleaned off the table that was usually full of herbs and laid a pillow and a blanket on it for my comfort.

"Lay here, and lift your shirt. Then I can start." Sheila states as she pulls and minced some flowers and herbs. I take my sweater off, lay on the table with Damon's help and lift his shirt a few inches from my stomach.

Grams comes over with the mixture she concocted and sprinkles it around the table and me. "This is a mixture of red raspberry and peppermint leaf, saffron, lavender and hibiscus flowers. It's to aid in health throughout your pregnancy."

Butterflies flutter along my stomach as Sheila then pulls out a crystal pendulum. "Now, I'm sure you know about pregnancy superstitions—if you're carrying low, it's a boy—if you eat a lot of sweets, it's a girl? Well...this crystal is spelled, so there's only right answers within this room."