Chapter 12

I wanted to run after Lacey but my feet wouldn't move. I saw that I was shivering and I drew in calming breaths. The shivering reduced a bit but my hands were still shaking.

I could hear lacey barking at some distance in the direction away from me. It's footsteps grew fainter until they came to an abrupt halt where Lacey started to growl.

They found Lacey! It must be them. Please don't let it be them, I prayed but I knew it was in vain when I heard a familiar voice scoff.

"Shoo! You stupid dog!"

"Go away!" Samon's voice called out and I pictured him chasing Lacey away.

I heard a familiar voice, a pained whimper from Lacey and my shivers grew.

"Stop trying to scare the dog away! It hasn't done you any harm!" Gloise told Samon.

"What if it bites me?"

"It won't, if you leave it alone!"

"But it's growling at me, at us!"

"It's a stray, what do you expect?"

"What if it's his? Did you notice that leaf around it's neck?"

"You think somehow the kid managed to befriend a dog in the short time we were away?"

"He is certainly capable. I have seen him petting stray dogs on the way home from school."

Just how long has he been watching me? How come I never noticed him? I am so stupid!

"I can't believe you! When I asked you to help him last night, you declined but then you wake me up early because apparently, you were worried about him!"

"Shut up and help me look for him!" I heard Samon's voice drawl.

"What's with the obsession, anyways? Why can't you just leave the poor kid alone. He has already suffered enough!"

Lacey was still barking at them but they ignored it. I kept listening to them silently while they tried to find me.

I couldn't risk sneaking a look at them and I hoped Lacey didn't think of coming back to me or it would lead them right to me.

I hoped they would get tired of trying to find me and leave.

"Where the hell did he go? I remember clearly that I left him here only. Damn, I should have tied him to a tree. I shouldn't have--"

"You shouldn't have done a lot of things!" Gloise retorted. Then he sighed and added, "Neither should have I!"

Their voices grew closer and I tried to pace my breathing.

"What do you plan on doing after we have found him?"

"Do you even have to ask?" Samon replied and I could almost picture him smirking.

"God, Samon! What has gotten into you? I thought you were worried about his wellbeing! If I had known that you planned on--".

A gasp escaped my mouth when I suddenly understood why was he searching for me and I cursed myself for giving away my location.

The ensuing silence that followed my gasp made me realise that I had been heard.

Footsteps started approaching me while I tried very hard to hold my breath and stay still.

*This took so much longer than I thought it would. Comments please! Updated on 9/08/20*