Chapter 42

Here, goes the finale. Are you ready?

As he vacillated between barging inside like a dim ass and waiting for the crooks to bring the kid's family, Samon Johnson spent the longest minutes of his life.

The odds were not in their favour. He peaked inside once again. There were only five men inside at the moment other than Luther and the kid.

But who knew how many men would return with his old man?

Could he deal with more than a dozen including his old man even with the help of the kid's father?

Definitely not!

He decided that he had to be canny about it.

But what could he do?

He racked his head to come up with an idea, picked his hair, paced around the rusting car and then, his eyes fell on rods inside the car.

He picked up the least rusted one which had a black rubber handle.

Okay, at least he was armed now!

He tested swinging it in the air. Good! It could do some fine damage but it still wouldn't be enough to outsmart seasoned crooks who worked with his old men.

He could take them down one by one, if they were spread apart but with them positioned like they were  right now, Samon would be snuffed out  in a second. If only he could find a way to sneak in!

Oh yes! He could sneak in!

He patted his hair, tugged his shirt inside his pants. Luther was prissy about appearances. Best to look as refined as possible in front of him.

He held the rod casually in his hand like a baton, walked towards the main gate and pulled it open. It opened with a metallic whine.

There went my attempt at being fuc*ing obscure. Samon thought, cursing the vile door.

Everyone inside stopped to look at him. He didn't bother shutting the door.

Luther addressed him first, "Junior? What are you doing here?"

Before Samon could think of a reason convincing enough for Luther, the kid called him out in his crushed, knackered little voice.

"Sam--on?"

That single word seemed to tug at Samon's very core and his mouth opened in surprise.

To Luther, it must have appeared that Samon was genuinely shocked to see the kid there, which was bollocks! Samon was just moved by the faith that his presence had alighted in the kid.

He was looking at Samon with those blasted tearful eyes that held so much hope in them, that he forgot about everything else. All his plans, his deductions, his excuses just zapped.

His hands went slack and the rusty steel rod fell down with a loud clang. That shook him out of his stupor.

Oh Fuck!!!!

He swore inwardly and his eyes immediately found Luther, who was frowing at him.

"Junior..?"

Suddenly, he heard a commotion behind him and turned.

Two men and a dog were running towards him at full throttle. He heaved a sigh of relief,

The kid's father was here! And he had brought a friend too! Now they were evenly matched.

But then he noticed the dog. The dog had spotted him and it appeared like it was running towards him. He instinctively ran inside, towards the men while everyone just stared at him in confusion.