Chapter 22

The classes before lunch passed uneventfully. Miss Penn kept shooting me concerned looks during her class but I stared at the board and avoided her eyes.

I didn't volunteer to answer her questions though it wasn't because I wasn't up to date with the readings. I just didn't want any more attention on me.

After I was discharged from hospital, I took up reading my textbooks to distract myself, they helped epecially when I woke up at nights and couldn't go back  to sleep.

I didn't think that I would ever step back into the school again and  dreaded stepping out from home but taking out Lacey on walks helped.

The last time Matt visited me was when I was discharged from the hospital and he brought Lacey with him.

When he called Lacey, it wouldn't leave so my parents agreed to keep Lacey with us.

Dad made a makeshift house for it using spare planks in the balcony but it mostly stayed in my room.

I was apprehensive initially because our flat didn't have much space and I didn't want it to feel cooped up but it took at it as his own.

Both mom and Lacey rarely left me alone. Dad took it out on walks in the morning and late at night after dinner and mom took care of the rest of it's needs which was surprising because she had never been too keen on my the idea of having pets.

I think having Lacey around also kept mom sane. She had quit her job to look after me. I didn't even realise it until after three weeks when I woke up to her arguing with dad at night.

Dad had started working double shifts on weekdays and on weekends, he was out most of the time. I rarely saw him.

The hospital bills and medicines had eaten up a lot into their savings and mom leaving her job had put up a pressure on him.

I was cuddling with Lacey on my bed when I heard mom's chastising voice in the hall

"Are you drunk again, Everett?"

Lacey opened one of its eyes to look at me, it's ears raised and I patted it's head. It's ears fell but I knew it was awake.

"I am tired Della, let me go to sleep." Dad said firmly, his voice barely audible to me.

"Do you think I am not tired?" Mom shrieked.

"Oh no! Have you even seen yourself in the mirror lately? You sit next to him all day, you have barely slept for weeks Del! You don't eat, you don't go out, you are a right mess."

I winced at that. I didn't realise mom was so caught up with my things that she barely had time for herself.

"I don't care about how I look! What if he needs me? What if he has those awful nightmares once again? Who will take care of him then? Someone has to, you know, while you go out drinking God knows where!"

"I have been working my butt off to put food to our table, Del, since someone has to and you wouldn't!"

A tear flew down my eye. They were fighting because of me.

"Do you think I like this? Seeing my son like that and my husband squandering our hard earned money on alcohol? Do you think I wanted this," Mom's voice broke.

She sniffed and a pause reigned.  I pictured her wiping her tears off. Then her voice turned softer.

"Did you spend the money for his medicine on alcohol again?" She asked in a resigned voice.

"That was just once Del! And he still had a few left before I got the refill. And no, I bought his meds. There you go."

A brief silence followed.

"He was asking for you last night. At least go see him, Ev. He misses you."

"I can't Del. I can't see him like that. That's why I have been spending time out as much as I can and I can't let him see me like this. I relapsed. I know I promised you but I am sorry, Del. It's just, it's all too much to take and I only take a very small amount. "

"I am sorry too Ev. "

I heard her sobs and that night brought a lot of epiphanies to me. I needed to get better. I couldn't let my parents destroy themselves over me.

The next day, I offered to take Lacey out on a walk in the morning.

"Mr. Fern, stand up!" I was jolted out of my thoughts to look at Mr. Amworth.

"......,"

"huh?" And then I looked down at my watch.

It was last class of the day already! I missed the lunch. I realised that I did feel a little hungry.

"You might have been excused to submit your written assignments that you missed but you still need to submit the upcoming ones. Tardiness won't be tolerated in my class. Is that understood?"

"Yes sir!"

"Sit down!"

I sat down and tried to concentrate. As the bell rang, I looked around the classroom. Time to head back home.

Where was Matt? His seat was empty. A bit of shame crept up on me for taking so long to notice his absence.

I picked up my bag and started heading out of the school. Fortunately, students give me wide berth to move with my limp.

As I reached the gates of the school,  I felt a dread rise up my spine. I felt rooted to the spot.

I didn't think about it when dad dropped me to the school in morning but I wasn't ready to go home all alone.

I turned to look around desperately, no one was paying me any attention. I felt tears well up in my eyes.

Suddenly, a loud bark pierced the air and startled me. I looked up to see Lacey jumping in joy without leash, the black belt around it's neck wiggling.

I smiled and started walking ahead to find mom leaning against a tree, grinning at me. My grin turned brighter.

I was safe.

*I am so happy to put it out on time. Comments please! Updated on 28/08/20*