Chapter 15

"Oh my God! What happened to him?" Arwin heard his mom's voice shriek out.

"I don't know Mrs. Fern, I found him like that only. I was waiting for him for school and he was late so I thought I will go check on the other side of the bridge."

Matt! Matt was here! Matt took a deep calming breath and continued.

"I saw this shiny thing in the cabin, so I went to check and it was the badge on his bag, the silver one. I got worried because Arwin isn't someone who will leave his bag lying out there,"

"No! My Arwin would never--" his mom interrupted but his dad cut her off.

"Was he in the cabin as well?" He asked.

"No! When I picked up the bag, this dog came to me. It was barking at me and turning towards the forest. It wouldn't leave until I followed it into the woods. It led me to the clearing where--" Matt's voice broke.

Arwin's eyes felt heavy and even though he wanted to tell them that he was okay, he couldn't. He had never heard Matt being this emotional before.

"--I found Arwin. He was--he was lying, curled on himself with his hands tucked in on his stomach. I panicked when I turned him to face me, his stomach was bleeding and there were umm--" Matt hesitated to continue and Arwin waited with baited breath.

Did he know? Will he tell them? What if they start hating him? Arwin's mind raced.

"There were what, Matt?" He heard his father's demanding voice. It wasn't wavering at all but Arwin knew that his father was just holding it all in for then.

It was only a matter of time before he was going to snap. He wished that it didn't happen before Matt.

"There were marks all over his body, His shirt was barely holding it. It was torn in places and this pointy stick was lying nearby and his feet also looked funny." Matt finished.

It was so quiet there that he could hear people breathing but Matt's voice continued breaking the silence.

"I carried him back to the cabin somehow and went out on the road. I called my dad from there and he brought us here but the dog wouldn't let us go so we brought it as well. He was here but then the staff objected to the dog so dad took it home after the formalities."

Arwin couldn't help but feel an overwhelming gratitude for Lacey and Matt as well. He hadn't met Matt's father yet but he already felt indebted to him.

It appeared as if only the tale was keeping his mom's tears and as soon as Matt finished, she broke down.

"Thank you! Thank you so much Matt. You and your father have been so kind. How could we ever repay your kindness."

He wondered if his mom was holding both of Matt's hands in gratitude like she usually thanked people or was hugging him in relief.

His mom started sobbing hysterically and a groan escaped him.

"Dear, let Arwin rest." He felt his father's hand over his forehead.

"But---what---why? My son! My poor sweet son!" His mother sobbed.

He could picture her face crying out loud and her hands reaching over to touch him and he almost winced expecting it.

Fortunately, it never came. The doctor chose that very moment to come in and requested everyone to wait outside. He heard the shuffling of feet and he knew they would have left the room when heard the door getting shut.

*Another one done. Comments please! Updated on 23/08/20*