Chapter 35

This one's dedicated to KarmaPoliceIamLost

It was a sunny day, we passed several butterflies on our way as mum walked me to school.

I noticed that she kept sneaking looks at me.

"What is it mom?" I asked her, catching her off guard.

".....?"

"I know you want to ask something, what is it? Tell me!"

"Are you doing okay?"

"I am fine mom! Really! I am fine going to school by myself! Seriously, you guys don't have to escort me everyday!"

"But, it's dangerous, Ar! That boy is out on a bail. Anyways, he will be behind the bars soon and then you can---"

"I already told you mom! I don't think it was Grant! He is my friend. He wouldn't have hurt me!"

At that, mom stopped and turned to grip my shoulders,

"He confessed Ar! He told the detective everything! How he drove to the forest and then kidnapped you from the cabin--"

At that, a flash of something appeared in my mind, like a thunder in pitch black sky. I saw the retreating outline of the cabin as I was moved away from there.

I held my head, wincing.

"We are going to press for the strictest of penalties. It is only a matter of days before he is convicted and the punishment is decided.....Arwin? Are you listening to me?"

"Uh---yeah, mom!" I replied, forcefully pushing down that image in my head.

Thankfully, mom didn't notice. We started walking again. Suddenly, another fear gripped me.

"Mom?"

"Does everyone know about it?"

"No baby, they are keeping it all under wraps because you are a minor and unfortunately, so is he."

Mom let out an angry huff of breath.

"I wouldn't be surprised if his lawyers have managed to keep his identity from the press but we will have to be prepared to face the worst, okay? You are already doing so well, Ar. You have been so brave."

I managed to nod at that.

I hoped that it remained that way but I was also hoping for Grant to be let off. I didn't see how that would happen.

Maybe the real culprit would turn himself in.

As we reached the school, I bid mom goodbye and started walking inside.

My thoughts kept me occupied the whole time. Only Matt and Karen's entry to the class broke me out of my thoughts but they quickly reappeared.

As the bell for lunch rang, I stood up distractedly to follow Matt and Karen out of the classroom.

We were walking towards the cafeteria, when I spotted him. I had been meaning to talk to him for a while now.

"Guys, You guys go on, I need to talk to someone!"

They looked like they were going to ask a hundred questions but I couldn't wait, so I told them,

"I will be back soon!" And started running after him. Once I was in his earshot, I called out his name,

"Johnson!"

He didn't turn at that, so I tried again!

"Samon!"