Chapter 34

As the classes ended for the day, Karen gathered her things and moved out to wait in front of my desk.

I also stood up and followed her, just as I was about to turn to check up on Matt,

I felt someone standing close behind me. The signature lavender fragrance told me that it was Matt.

I felt both secure and restless, my heart had sped up. I wanted to move ahead as well as lean back on to him.

"Fern!"

I looked up, to find Karen smirking. "Move!" She mouthed.

I felt my face heat up. I didn't realise that I had stopped. I scuttled ahead to her.

Matt followed me and the three of us started walking out of the hallway.

I was walking between both of them and I kept sneaking looks at Matt after every few seconds. He had a small smile on his face, though he was looking forward.

It was as if looking at him was almost an irresistible urge. His face, his hair, his eyes, his neck, the part of his chest visible from between the collar of his shirt.

Karen cleared her throat and my eyes moved to her in surprise.

"Very subtle!" She murmured.

I flushed and thought about covering it up with some conversation.

I wanted to talk to Matt but suddenly, I was feeling really self conscious. I had never been this awkward around him. What changed then?

"Umm---where," I started to ask Matt about where had he been but realised that it might come across as being nosy.

He will tell me when he is ready.
Should I ask him how has he been?

"Err--how---have you---done all your homework?"

Karen snorted and I glared at her, before feeling like facepalming myself.

"Yeah!, I have been submitting them from home, thanks to Karen." Matt looked at me indulgently.

He looked amused but before I processed his words, his demeanour suddenly turned serious, staring ahead of us.

I turned to see what had caught his attention. Some jocks were walking towards us. I could only recognise Joan Andrews and Pencer; the boys that had accosted me into that classroom with Rowan.

I involuntarily took a step back and felt a hand on my lower back. It was barely there, gentle and caressing but I felt a jolt run over my spine.

It felt like a solace. I didn't want him to move his hand away. I looked up at him, he blinked in acknowledgement but didn't take his eyes away from ahead of us.

"Look who is back, boys!" Joan Andrews nodded at Matt, spreading his hands to stop the jocks behind him from moving ahead.

"It's Matthew 'fight me' Vincent!"

Some of the boys whooped and cheered at that. I frowned.

They knew Matt??

"So, tell us who would you like to fight today Matthew? Augur? Pencer? The boys here or your all time favourite, Johnson!"
I looked up at him.

Matt fought with all those people? Wait, Did he say Johnson? Why would Matt fight with Samon?

Matt tensed up. Even Karen seemed to be on the verge of lashing out. So, I decided to intervene.

"Leave us alone, Andrews! I know who you are now. I will----"

"Awww! Is your poor 'girlfriend' going to fight us on your behalf, Matthew?" He mocked in a false baby voice.