Chapter 36

*This one's for MikiOnihara *

I was sitting on the landing that led out to the fire exit. Lacey trotted down to me and curled up in my lap as I leaned against the wall, to look up at the moon.

It was a waxing crescent moon, it looked as if the air itself around it had frozen, giving it the appearance of being under the surface of a frozen lake.

There was a slight chill in the air and Lacey was a warm comfort. I looked down at him. Even he appeared hooked. The moon's light reflected on his eyes making it seem like silvers swirled inside them.

Ever since the day I talked to Samon, Matt had been avoiding me. Karen would also often accompany him, rather than me.I understood that, though it didn't make me feel any less lonely.

I sighed.

Grant had still not returned. Even Samon would just flash a dark warning look at me, everytime I would approach him, before he left without talking to me.

Suddenly, Lacey whipped up it's tail and raised it's head up, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"What is it, boi?"

It gave another low bark, started wagging it's tail and moved ahead a few paces towards the stairs.

And then I heard it too. Someone was climbing up the fire exit stairs.

I frowned.

Who could it be at this time? And using these stairs?

"Dad?" I called out.

"Try again!" An amused voice called out before finally reaching the step in front of us.

Lacey started jumping at him in joy, barking and trying to stand up on it's front paws, and generally making a ruckus on the metallic stairs.

I just looked at them as he leaned down to hug Lacey and Lacey licked his face.

"Aww! I have missed you too, champ!" He snuggled Lacey. He was wearing a dark brown jacket over a black shirt.

I was just too stunned for words.

Matt was here!

"Arwin" he called me out.

I just nodded stupidly.

He smiled at that and once again I found myself at a loss of words.

He moved towards me and took me in a hug, I found myself leaning on to his warm chest, breathing in his familiar lavender fragrance.

I could see the fuzzy inside of his jacket and feel the leathery finish of the outside with my hands.

I even heard his heartbeat and that's when I broke out of my stupor.

He really was here, that too at night!

I let go of him and moved back a bit to look at him.

"What are you doing here, Matt?"

"Meeting you!" He replied easily. I felt heat rise up my cheeks.

"I mean, why----uh----?" I tried again.

He became serious at that.

"Karen told me that you seemed very upset the other day after I left. So I--"

"It's okay. I understand if you don't want to be friends with me now." I raised my hands, cutting him off, voicing out my fears so that I wouldn't have to hear it from him.