t h i r t y - s e v e n

Meredith tore her eyes from Antony and attempted to conceal her surprise at his attendance of this dance.

"I'm actually desiring a bit of a break," she told John, answering his question. She noticed his face fall as his gaze flitted to Antony before looking back at her.

"I suppose I'll...go get a drink then. Perhaps I'll chat with Evan."

"Alright," she said, smiling at him. As he left, he gave her a slight side hug. She was momentarily startled by this as he had never done anything of the sort before, but as she glanced from his retreating back to Antony's puzzled face, it dawned on her.

John thinks that Antony and I...

She couldn't even finish the thought in her head. It seemed much too ridiculous. Antony was king and she was a mere servant. And yet...when she had first caught a glimpse of him from the dance floor where she was caught up in a waltz with John, she had felt...pleased that he had come.

As soon as John had gone, Meredith made her way in the opposite direction to one of the tables where two of the maids were setting out small cups of water. She took one and sipped it, absentmindedly. From her spot by the wall, she watched Antony, who was now engaged in discussion with Kade, Fulton, and one other man in a footman's uniform. The footman had a look on his face of surprise and awe that he would be included in a conversation with the king. Antony, meanwhile, looked more relaxed than he had been at the coronation ball. She smiled to herself. The servants dance may not be as lavish as the formal balls, but something could be said for their ability to make every person who came into their presence feel comfortable.

She watched as two of the footmen opened the double glass doors that led out to the grounds. It was a short distance to the gardens and the night was cool, the sky starry. Once the doors were open, couples began to leave the ballroom, making their way out among the flowers and the winding paths that led through the royal gardens.

She saw Evan and Jane make their way out as well, holding hands as they exited the lit-up ballroom.

Moments later, John made his way to her side once more.

"Meredith, will you take a walk with me?"

She hesitated a moment, before nodding. "Of course, John. I need to speak with you, anyways." She wished she didn't have to say what she knew she had to tell him.

"And I have something to tell you," he said, smiling.

They made their way out into the cool evening. Only a slight breeze was blowing and the moon hung in the sky above it, merely a crescent. The stars shone clearly against the black sky and the scent of the flowers perfumed the air.

John and Meredith walked in silence along the path, until they had gone farther into the expanse of the royal gardens then Meredith had ever been before. Soon, they had left behind the other couples walking among the paths, and the night was silent.

John led her to a bench that stood beneath a trellis of roses. They sat, and he turned to her. He took her hand.

"Meredith...I...I want to tell you something."

"John..." she said. "Please..."

"Meredith, I'm in love with you."

"Oh John," she said, more sure than she had been before that she couldn't care for him in the way he wanted. "Please don't..."

"I can't, Meredith. I can't go on like this. I feel like you're hesitating. I care for you, Mer."

"John," she said, more firmly. "I care for you too." She hurried on at the look of hope that entered his expression. "But not in that way," she said. "Not in the way you want me to care for you. You're my friend, John," she said softly. "My friend and...nothing more. I'm sorry."