f i f t y - e i g h t

Jonathan gripped the bars of his prison with his hands. They were cold and hard against the palms of his hands. He sighed heavily and turned his back on the barred door, facing the cement blocks of the back wall.

He did not move, even when he heard footsteps in the stone corridor outside of his cell.

"Hello, Jonathan," said Sawyer, his sneering voice instantly recognizable. "I've come to let you out."

Jonathan didn't turn, but gave a short, harsh laugh. "You and I both know that's not why you're here, Sawyer."

"You know me too well," said Sawyer, chuckling darkly. "I just got word from one of the spies in Jurmala that Antony and the majority of the King's Army are bearing down on our little hideout."

Jonathan flinched slightly as Sawyer slammed his hand against the bars.

"This is your fault!" he yelled. "If you hadn't let Isabella get away, Antony would have no idea where we were!"

"You'd only buy yourself a little time, Sawyer," said Jonathan, calmly. "Antony would have found us anyways."

"Be that as it may," said Sawyer, dismissively. "After I'm finished teaching the King's Army a lesson, you're going to hang, for betraying us. As to your precious brother...He will also die."

Jonathan froze, but said nothing.

"Good bye, Jonathan," said Sawyer, turning and striding back the way he had come.

Jonathan allowed his shoulders to slump as he returned to the bars that kept him inside.

Why did I let myself become this? He asked himself. And how can I ever redeem myself?

His mind raced, trying to think of a way out of this prison cell he had found himself in. He could warn Antony that Sawyer intended to kill him. He closed his eyes. He couldn't; he was stuck here indefinitely.

I can't redeem myself.

He returned to the opposite wall of the prison and slumped against it, trying to resign himself to his coming death.

***

"We will arrive shortly, Sire."

Antony nodded to the captain. "Thank you," he said, acknowledging him. The captain nodded once more and then departed, leaving Antony alone again.

As Antony waited for the ships to reach the island of the rebels, he found himself fingering the yellow ribbon now tied about his arm.

He sighed heavily and allowed his hand to fall to his side as he exited the captain's cabin and came out on deck.

Kade acknowledged him as he passed on his way to the fore-deck. He rested his hand on the ship's railing and eyed the fast-approaching island.

He could tell that they were approaching at an angle, towards the side of the island inhabited by woods. It wouldn't be much, but this way would hopefully give them a small element of surprise.

"Slow!" he heard the captain shout from his spot next to the wheel.

The ship began to slow, the others behind it doing the same. Antony held himself straight as the ship approached the land and the men prepared to disembark.

Kade was shouting orders to the men on board the lead ship. "Disembark as quickly as possible and make a loose marching formation. Swords at ready! Be as quiet as possible!"

Antony felt the anchor catch and the boat was soon stopped as close to shore as was prudent. The boats were quickly lowered and the men boarded them quietly. As soon as a boat was filled, it departed for shore, making quick work of the short distance between the ships and land.