t w e n t y - o n e

The morning after a celebration that lasts until one a.m. is not usually a good one for most involved. Of course, not everyone had to remove themselves from their warm beds and make their way to a final meeting with their best general.

Antony felt half asleep as he dressed for the day. He felt as though his limbs were not his own, so sluggish were they to obey his orders. Aside from that, his head ached. He almost gave up and got back in bed.

However, finally dressed in red cotton shirt and trousers, he pulled on his boots, put on his everyday crown-the much simpler gold band meant to be lighter and more convenient then the ceremonial crown-, and made his way slowly to his study.

He found Kade already there, waiting outside the door and chatting with the guards.

"Good morning, Your Majesty," said Kade, bowing slightly.

Antony simply gave a tired nod and walked past him and into the room, where Fulton had already delivered hot tea. He sat and took a sip, the scalding liquid awakening him from his sleepy stupor far better than anything else.

He took one more sip and then sat back in his chair, facing Kade.

"You don't look pleased, Kade," he said, watching his general's face.

"As you know, we planned on bringing home a lot of soldiers from the borders...letting them see their families."

Antony frowned, sensing what must be coming. By Kade's expression, it wasn't going to be pleasant news.

Kade sighed and sat down in the chair across from Antony's desk.

"I've received word from spies on the border that they've...seen some things that could be signs of rebel activity and the like."

Antony was silent for a few moments, before he finally spoke. "So what you're saying is, you think we should hold the soldiers in their current position." He thought of how many men were going to be disappointed, how low morale could drop. He pictured the families who had been waiting for their men to come home.

"Not all of them. Just enough to hold our position strong. The men aren't sure what the threat is, but it's enough to make the villages along the southern border a bit uneasy."

"Very well, Kade. Reduce the numbers of men that are returning for leave."

"Yes, Sir."

"And one more thing."

"Yes?" Kade turned once more to face Antony.

"Prepare a guard. I wish to go to the southern border and learn more about this possible threat, myself. As well as to speak with the men who are left behind. I will leave tomorrow."

"Of course, Sir."

Waking up, Meredith felt as though she were bruised everywhere

Waking up, Meredith felt as though she were bruised everywhere. She had danced only five dances last night, compared to Isabella, who had danced as often as possible with Kade, and yet she was still sore, having not danced for years until the night previous.