s i x t y (p a r t o n e)

"Mother? What are you doing here?"

Jade gave her daughter a small smile. It had been a few hours since she had awakened to find the note that Meredith had left. By then, news of King Antony's injury had begun to spread throughout the city. Nash had insisted that he had to come visit Antony, to show him his puppy, and to "help him get better" just as "he helped me feel better".

"I couldn't keep Nash away. And...after I got your note..." she hesitated, studying Meredith. It had been less than twenty-four hours since Meredith had heard about Antony, and she already looked tired and frazzled. "I read between the lines."

She ignored Meredith's puzzled look and turned to Nash, Prissy, and Samantha. "Why don't you go inside." She glanced at Meredith.

Meredith nodded. "You can go to the kitchens for now; find Ramona."

Samantha nodded and led the way, calmly pushing Nash's chair in the direction of the kitchens and leaving Prissy to follow absentmindedly behind.

Jade now turned back to Meredith. "I should have seen it." She shook her head, and sighed. "I feel as though I've been a bad mother for not realizing sooner."

"Mother?"

"You love him, don't you."

Jade could see the internal struggle that Meredith was facing.

"It's alright, Meredith. I think..." She swallowed, and half-smiled. "I think that the time for holding grudges has passed."

She could see the tears in Meredith's eyes as her daughter smiled.

"Mother..."

Jade smiled, and stepped forward, pulling Meredith into her arms. "I love you, Meredith," she whispered in her ear. "I love you so much."

She felt Meredith's shoulders shaking with silent sobs.

"I love you too, Mother," she said, her voice broken. "You...you don't know how much I needed to hear that."

"I think I have a good idea. I should have made a point to tell you more often."

Jade felt tired. She felt as though she rushed around, spending all her time doing things to try and make her children's lives better, and not leaving time enough to notice things about them. To tell them outloud that she loved them. To talk about their lives.

Meredith finally pulled away and wiped her eyes, giving Jade a weak smile.

"Thank you, Mother," she said.

In that moment, Jade felt the last weight of her grudge slip from her shoulders.

***

"He's sleeping then?"

Meredith rested a hand on Nash's shoulder. "Sort of..." she said. "It's called being unconscious. You were the same way, for a while, when Kade first brought you back."

"He won't wake up?"

"He will eventually," she said. How I hope that's true, she added in her head.

"I brought Emery to see him," said Nash, as the puppy scampered into the room, skidding on the wooden floor.

"Nash, I think..."

She stopped as Nash managed to pick up the puppy and heave him onto the bed.

"Nash," she said quickly, moving forward to retrieve Emery. "Emery is only a puppy. He's too rowdy to be on the bed..."

"Shh, Mer!" hissed Nash, pointing to Emery, who circled a few times and then settled down against Antony, resting his head on Antony's arm.

Nash smiled. "See?" he said. "He likes him."