f o r t y - o n e

Antony entered the throne room, the guard on either side of the large double doors each taking a handle and opening them. He forced himself to stand completely straight, looking forward, but he still couldn't miss the apprehension in the eyes of a few of his younger advisers as they collectively bowed. Kade had obviously briefed them on the situation in the minutes before Antony arrived.

He reached his throne and turned to face all of them, seeing them all look to him for the orders that would protect the kingdom. He rearranged the red cloak that the servants had hastily given to him in the hallway, along with his crown.

He sat down and looked over them. Swallowing, he threw himself into the meeting.

"Kade has, I presume, already informed you of what we know of the situation?"

They all nodded or responded in affirmation.

"Then let us begin."

Meredith turned to Isabella

Meredith turned to Isabella. "Please," she said. "Antony suggested the same thing...but work will help distract me. The more the better. I appreciate your offer...really I do. But I need the work right now."

"Very well," said Isabella, looking at Meredith sadly. "I will find you something to do. It may be a while, however...Mother has ordered me to find a lady's maid to serve my Aunt Catherine while she is here. I'll need to do that first."

Meredith looked up at Isabella. "When does she arrive?"

"Tomorrow...Why?"

"Let me serve her."

Isabella immediately frowned, observing her friend carefully. "Meredith..." she said. "Catherine is a very harsh, unkind woman. With...what's happened to your family...I don't think dealing with my aunt is what you need."

"Please, Isabella. Please."

Isabella sighed, looking at Meredith with sadness in her eyes. She wished she could do something to ease her friend's sorrow, but she couldn't think of what. Meredith was agitated and grieving and it seemed to Isabella that she was constantly gazing out the window, her face pale.

"Alright..." she said, giving in. "But if Aunt Catherine is harsh with you, I will immediately remove you from service to her."

Meredith nodded, one small inclination of her head and nothing more.

Isabella watched her from the settee for a few moments, before standing and coming to her friend's side.

"Meredith, is there anything I can do? Anything?"

Meredith smiled sadly but shook her head. "No," she said softly. "You and your cousin have already been too kind. Antony...he said that he was leaving to go to Hampshire and Dunkirk and that while he was there, he would get my family, if they agreed, and bring them here to the palace where they'd be safe."

"I'm glad," said Isabella. "We should ready some rooms for them."

"Alright," Meredith whispered quietly.

"Meredith...is something else bothering you?"

Isabella watched as her friend shook her head, then turned to look out the window once more.

She wished that she could know what was bothering her friend...Perhaps it was simply the situation with her brother but she felt as though it might be something more.

Antony strapped his sword belt back around his waist, now that he was in full chainmail and shoulder armor

Antony strapped his sword belt back around his waist, now that he was in full chainmail and shoulder armor. He pulled his boots on and straightened his cloak, pivoting on one foot and making his way immediately out of his room.

He had told Kade he wanted to leave immediately after the council session. Kade had not questioned him; indeed, none of his advisers had seen fit to question anything he had said. Even Antony himself had been surprised at the ease with which he had adapted to the occasion and found himself able to dictate orders as well as any king.

Now, in addition to the squadrons of soldiers Kade had already called for, there was compensation for the families of the dead, arrangements in place for the city's protection, men sent specifically to question the villagers about the events of the past night, and spies making their way throughout the kingdom to find out what they could.

He made his way down the east wing hallway and was just about to go down the stairs, when he heard her.

"Wait!" called Meredith. He looked up in surprise, his hand on the banister.

"Meredith?" he said. "What..." He broke off as she hurried up to him.

"I wrote this letter. It's for my mother. Please...give it to her when you speak to her, will you?"

He smiled gently at her, taking the letter from her hand. "Of course; I will make sure she gets it," he told her. "You have my word."

"Thank you," she said softly. He noticed that she avoided his gaze. He nodded awkwardly to her before turning to make his way downstairs. Once he reached the bottom of the stairs, he glanced once more at her. She stood for a few moments, looking at the ground, before she brought her hand from the banister and left.

He went on his way, exiting the palace and mounting Emery. Once the other soldiers had arrived, they rode for Hampshire and Dunkirk at full speed, Antony and Kade in the lead.