t h r e e

Meredith sat on the wooden stool, careful to remain calm and still, even though she felt like doing anything but.

The very next day, as advised by Evan, she had gathered her file of the resumes left from each house she had worked at and made her way to the registry, for an interview.

She didn't know exactly what she would be asked in her interview, but she knew getting a palace position required questions about one's criminal background, a record of all of one's past employers and explanations for each discharge.

"Meredith Ellingston."

She stood and moved towards the small back room where her interview would occur. She almost considered lying about her background in crime so that she would not be considered fit for the job. A mental picture of her mother and younger siblings starving or losing the house came to her mind just then and prompted her on into the room. The room was small, square, and painted gray. It was lit by several lanterns along the wall and a small square window with red-checked curtains let in some natural light.

She sat down on yet another wooden stool.

A middle aged lady, her hair gray and pulled back into a severe bun on the back of her head, entered after her and shut the door.

"Your resumes?"

Meredith handed her the file without a word and watched her peruse it, her eyes behind metal rimmed spectacles raking over each page.

Finally she closed it and looked up at Meredith.

"I see," she said, "that you've had no less than twelve jobs in the past five years."

"Yes, Ma'am."

"However, according to these, your employers listed no dissatisfactions about your work under your reasons of discharge. Please explain."

Meredith took a deep breath.

"I've been in and out of work since my father's death, trying to help provide for my family. The positions were usually temporary...I usually filled in for other housemaids who were ill, pregnant, or I was a replacement until they could hire a permanent. Once a family needed a maid for a year to prepare their house to sell, and I took that position, fully aware that it would eventually end and leave me searching for another job."

The old woman looked somewhat less severe and her mouth softened.

"You need a job to help your family then."

"Yes, Ma'am."

The woman handed Meredith back her file and stood.

"You know, before I worked my way up to Second Housekeeper, I was a maid just like you, looking for work to help send my younger sister to university. I understand your position. I feel that you are a good worker. As for your criminal record, every applicant's name was reviewed with the authorities of their town before they were called for an interview. I see no reason to doubt your capabilities or your ethics."

She led Meredith to the door.

"Please visit tomorrow to see the list of applicants chosen to work at King's City. Thank you for your interview."

"Thank you, Ma'am."

She gave a slight curtsy and left the room, her file clutched to her chest. She took a few deep breaths of fresh air as she exited the registry and looked down the street, to where Evan was waiting outside a small shop.

He stood and came to stand by her side.

"How did it go?" he questioned her, falling into step with her as they walked down the street.