f o r t y - f i v e

Jade, queen of the deposed Borgavia, hesitated before the door. She had held herself strong all these years since her country had fallen. However, on the night that her youngest child had been stolen from her, something within her had changed, and she let some of her old fears creep back in. The fears that someone would find them, discover their history, and kill them. The fears that they would not have enough food, and that they would all starve.

Now, she was afraid that they were here to take one of her other children. Whoever these people were, they could surely be up to no good.

She had been setting the table for dinner, arranging the mismatched plates and silverware at each place, when the knock had come. She had made her way hesitantly to the door, unsure of herself and how she might protect Samantha and Priscilla in the event that the person at the door might be a threat to them.

She cracked open the door, not yet unlatching the bolt. She brought her hand to her mouth in surprise.

Soldiers...What are they doing here? Do they know where Nash is? Or have they discovered our secret?

"May I help you?" she said, nervousness making her voice too high.

"Mrs. Jade Ellingston?" inquired the blonde-haired soldier in front. She felt short, looking up at both of the armored men.

"Yes?" she said, hesitantly.

The blonde man smiled, as if relieved. She shook her head in confusion. What was going on here?

The other man, this one slightly shorter and of a more sturdy, muscular build, stepped forward, eliciting a frown from his companion.

"We've come from the palace, in response to the recent attacks."

"What would two soldiers want with me?" she said, fear in her voice.

The taller of the two pushed past the other man once more.

"We wish you no harm. You see, I...we...know your daughter, Meredith. She's a friend of ours, especially of my cousin."

"Wait!" said Jade, opening the door slightly farther. "You know my daughter? How is she? Who exactly are you?" She eyed the men a bit suspiciously.

The taller one finally spoke, giving her a slight bow as he did so. "Mrs. Ellingston, I am...King Antony of the House Westerholme and this is my general and friend, Kade." To Jade's mind, he looked slightly uncomfortable when introducing himself as king.

She studied him, concealing her surprise. She used to sit with this man's mother during dances held in the Borgavian court, her holding the infant Meredith while Saraya held her own young baby, now this man standing before her. She had held him before, when he was but a mere infant, and he would never know.

She sighed and opened the door. "Sire," she said, curtsying. She looked up and met his eyes. "Do you know...where my son is?" She tried to push down the hope that rose within her that he might have answers, for she knew that she would be disappointed if he did not. Her heart fell as he shook his head.

"I'm sorry," he said, and he looked as if he genuinely meant it. "I have, however, come to you with a proposition. Until your son is recovered, or until the enemy's purpose in taking him is revealed, I would like to offer your family a place to stay at the palace with your daughter and your son, Meredith and Evan. Since we don't know the reason for your son's capture, we cannot be sure that the threat to your family no longer exists."

She simply stared at the two of them, unable to believe what she was hearing. Her? Samantha and Prissy? Come stay at the palace in King's City?

"Do...do you mean it? I'm...not sure that I can..."