DaithiDeCalibre- "Hero"

Nogla's POV

Today was like any other day, so far. I had done my usual morning and afternoon routine. Currently I was just starting my night routine. The first thing I did was take a stroll, down my usual path, at exactly seven thirty. The chill September air blew softly making goosebumps grow on my skin. A sigh escaped my now parted lips creating a small puff of air. Bright city lights shined everywhere around me. You'd think I would get bored of going down the same path every night, but to me it was a different path each night. I'd see something I never noticed, big or small, and it'd be there everyday afterwards. It really makes you think how much we miss even though it's right in front of us.

I closed my eyes softly and slowed my pace. A grin appeared on my face and disappeared just as fast when I opened my eyes once more. The sun was slowly disappearing over the boardwalk I was approaching. Waves were wildly crashing against the elevated platform. Since the waves tended to rise quite a bit, the boardwalk was higher than most you'd see. Birds flew from the ground to a higher place as I approached them. I was going to stand by the edge of the boardwalk when I noticed a small figure out of the corner of my eye.

My body immediately turned to face the person and they seemed to be looking around frantically. Somehow, they didn't see me and started to climb on the bars that protect people, mostly children, from falling into the sea. The person almost slipped off, but they quickly grabbed onto a skinny pole beside them. My eyes widened in fear that this person was about to jump off the edge.

Quickly, I made my way over to the stranger. Their grip on the pole loosened and they started to move forward towards the rapid waves. My mind spun trying to think about what to do. I never imagined myself in a situation like this and I was panicked. Of course I had to do something, I wasn't about to let a human kill them self. It's not okay.

"Hey, you come here to watch the sunset too?" I asked with my voice somehow confident.

The person gripped onto the pole tighter and turned to look at me. I moved closer and noticed it was a man. A very, very, good looking man. He was shorter than I thought, but it made him so much more unique and interesting.

"Uh, something like that," He replied nervously.

"You know, you don't have to stand up there to see it. Why don't you come down here and watch it with me?"

Silence.

"W-well I guess I am a stranger. But that could change and we could get to know each other so we aren't strangers anymore! Like we could learn each other's hobbies and stuff." I tried to think of something quick to say but my thoughts just got jumbled up with what I was saying.

He stared at me with no expression, "You can stop acting. We both know why I'm up here."

I froze suddenly, "Yeah, we do. But that can change too. I don't have to know you to know that you don't deserve this. No one does."

He looked toward the sunset, "No. I do. I deserve this. I just," He paused, "I deserve release. Painful or not."

"Well you may think that now but just imagine everything you'll lose when you're gone. You'll lose the beautiful sunset, the calm waves, and most importantly your life that you can do so much with."

His eyes widened and he looked at me, "You don't know me! How do you know my life is important?! I could be a serial killer for all you know!"

I softly smiled him, "But you're not. You're an important person who has been strong for so long that you don't want to be strong anymore. It's tiring and you want it to end. But I promise you that it gets better and easier."

Tears built up in the corner of his eyes, "You're right. I'm tired. I'm tired of my mom coming home drunk, smelling like drugs and then beating me. I'm tired of my sister not caring about anything and not loving me. I'm tired of people thinking I'll just turn out like my dad. I'm tired of trying. I'm tired of being strong for nobody. I'm tired of being the person no one cares about. I'm tired of not being loved. I'm just... so tired," A sob left his throat.

"I'm so sorry. No one deserves that. Especially someone like you. So please, come down here. I'll stay with you. I'll protect you. I'll care for you. I'll make sure you feel loved and welcomed. Please," My voice cracked as I felt tears rolling down my cheeks.

His legs were shaking and it seemed like he could jump off at any second. I held my hand out for him to grab it. More sobs escaped his throat as his eyes went looked at the ocean and back to my hand. My lips curled up into a pleading smile, showing him I truly did care for him.

Finally he let one hand off the pole and grabbed my hand. His hands were cold and shaky. I held onto his hand tightly as he made his way down. Once he was on the ground I wrapped him into a hug. His body was stiff at first but he relaxed and hugged me tight, still crying. I rubbed my hands up and down his back soothingly. He finally fully relaxed and wiped his now puffy red eyes.

"Thank you," He spoke weakly.

"I was just doing what was right."

He looked up at me, "I mean it. You're a hero."

I smiled, "A hero? Nah, I'd be the clumsiest hero to exist," I tried to make the atmosphere more comfortable with humor.

He genuinely smiled, "Okay, so you're a clumsy hero."

"Man, I've always wanted to be a hero," I suddenly changed the subject, "So, you're coming to my house then?"

He became confused, "What do you mean?"

"Well when I said I was going to help you and make you feel loved, I wasn't lying. But to do that you're going to have to stay with me now. Are you okay with that?"

"O-of course! I mean, if I won't be too much trouble. I don't want to go 'home' every again..."

"Then it's settled! You're living with me!"

I grabbed his hand and started walking back to my house, forgetting about my routine completely, "By the way, my name's David."

"Lui," He responded simply.

I smiled brightly and kept walking. Lui's hand was now much warmer than it was before, since it's connected with mine. Today many things could've happened. Finding a handsome man about to jump into the ocean and somehow convincing him to live with me was not something I expected at all. But I'm not complaining.

"Since you're a hero, what are your powers?" Lui asked.

"Hmm, I didn't think about that... Probably being able to break a house full of plates in the matter of seconds."

Lui giggled, "How would you be able to that?"

"Oh, you'd be suprised at just how clumsy I am."

"I guess I'll see you in action more when we get to your house," He guessed.

"Pretty much. You're in for quite a show Lui," I responded and we kept walking in a comfortable silence.

I don't know many things, but I was positive that this was one of the best decisions I'll ever have to make. Maybe I'll screw up along the way. Maybe I'll cause more pain than good. But I think it will all work out in the end. I am a hero after all. A very lucky and clumsy hero.