H2Ovanoss- Caged Emotions

3rd Person POV

Everything seemed duller now. The world wasn't as full of mystery, it wasn't interesting, it was empty. Every breath that escaped into the vast darkness seemed wasted. Nothing seemed to carry any purpose. It wasn't quite clear when things had just stopped being fun. The transition was so fast yet very subtle. In a flash happiness, hopes, dreams, fun, excitement, it was all just gone.

Jonathan cursed as he awoke from his mother yelling at him that he was once again late for school. Maybe he wouldn't miss so much school if he wasn't so sleep deprived. Dread filled through his body, knowing everyone would joke about him once again being late. He decided today's excuse would be he was at an appointment.

Sluggishly, he got out of bed and put on black pants along with his very baggy, black hoodie. Honestly he hated his daily outfit. Jonathan liked wearing light, pastel colors instead of black but he couldn't change his outfit because he knew everyone would make even more seemingly harmless jokes towards him. He went upstairs and started messing with his knotted hair in the bathroom.

Jonathan's mother left to take his little brother to school not too long after telling him to wake up. Once he finished getting ready for school he sat on the grey couch against the banister. Without having to think about it, Jonathan got lost in his own mind. He imagined being older and more confident in himself. He imagined wearing whatever he wanted and being who he really was. His moment of bliss was ruined by a car honk coming from outside.

Grabbing his semi-heavy backpack, he headed out the door. He opened the passenger seat door and sat down. Taking only a glance at his mom, Jonathan knew she was up late like usual. His eyes shut tightly not wanting to think about those kinds of things. His right hand pulled the sleeve on his left hand down further, covering his whole hand, out of habit.

'Others before self, brings joy!'

"You really need to try and wake up in the morning. You can't always be late like this," Jonathan's mother spoke as she pulled out of the driveway.

He sighed, "I know, I'm sorry. I didn't go to bed late last night so I don't know why I didn't wake up..." his voice slowly trailed off while he finished talking.

Unfortunately, Jonathan did know why he wasn't waking up. His body didn't want to go to school. His mind didn't want to go. His depression didn't want to go. His anxiety didn't want to go. This all made him not want to go, so he just slept it away.

His mom pulled up to the front of the school and unlocked the car doors so Jonathan could leave. He said goodbye and shut the car door. Swiftly, Jonathan made his way to the school's front doors. A deep sigh escaped his lips as he opened the unlocked door. Trying to be quick, he got his pass from the front office and went to his locker.

The code for his locker was programmed into his brain, at this point, making it easy to get his books for class. With trembling and anxious hands he slammed his locker shut, quickly making his way to class. A fake grin grew on Jonathan's face, not from joy but rather wanting to make everyone believe he was completely happy with his life and absolutely nothing was wrong. The excuse he made up this morning repeated in his head like someone kept pressing replay repeatedly in his brain. Jonathan silently prayed everyone would believe him once again and he could keep everything to himself for another day.

'Others before self, brings joy!'

His hand grasped the cold doorknob. With one turn of the doorknob and a push, Jonathan had entered the room. All eyes went onto him as soon as the door opened. The fake smile grew larger as looked at his classmates. His friends rolled their eyes at him and whispered to one another. A pang of hurt stabbed him in the heart but he didn't show it. Jonathan gave the teacher his pass and sat down. His English teacher rambled on about something that was completely off topic. The old lady was one of the most boring teachers you'd ever meet, so this class was mostly when he would go back into his own world.