13. Girl Talk

Cait-

Aniissa is poking me in the face but  I'm too tired to hit her hand away.

"Wake up," she says and continues to poke me.

I roll over onto my back and peer up at her. She's in her pajamas and her hair is all funny. "Why do I have to?"

"Because I'm bored and you shouldn't have stayed out so late!" she grabs my shoulder and rolls me over until I start slipping off the bed.

"We went bowling!" I say as I reluctantly get to my feet. I sit back on the bed. "How am I supposed to help with your boredom?"

"I don't know!" Aniissa whines. "Do a dance, jump out the window set yourself on fire!” I facepalm. “Or at least just talk.”

I stare down at my hands for a moment. "My demon started talking to me..."

"You too? Mine’s been talking to me for a while now," she says.

I sigh in relief. I'm not insane after all. Or, if I am, then I'm not the only one. “What’s yours like? Mine’s so nice and awesome.”

“So’s mine,” she grins and the look in her eyes is kind of unsettling.

“She’s lying,” Demi squeaks. “It’s probably evil.”

“Are you sure?” I ask Aniissa.

“Yeah, he’s totally cool.”

“She’s hiding something...” Demi sounds honestly worried.

Does that matter? Look at her! She’s happy!

Demi grumbles and falls silent.

“What’s it’s name?” I pick a jacket up off the floor and wrap it around my shoulders to stop myself from freezing.

“It’s name...?”

“Yeah, like my demon’s called-”

“NO!!” Demi shouts and there is no way for me to turn the volume down.

What?!

“Don’t tell her! That would end badly!”

Badly how?

“I can’t explain...”

Now who’s keeping secrets?

Demi’s annoyance is obvious. If she was a person, she would be folding her arms across her chest, frowning and ignoring me right now.

“Cait?” Aniissa is peering at me, wondering why I cut off mid sentence.

“Want to see what’s on TV?” I ask, steering us away from that conversation.

She nods and turns on our TV. We channel surf for a while before deciding to watch yet another show about teenagers getting pregnant.

“So.... You and Ashley huh?” She grins at me. She’s evil and she knows it.

I roll my eyes at her and start humming to avoid her questions. She already knows the answers.

“Come on!” She whines, “You know you want to tell me!”

“I’m not saying anything,” I reply and mime zipping my lips closed.

She starts poking me and continues whining.

“Fine then,” I grumble.

She smiles and claps her hands in triumph.

“What do you want to know exactly?”