15.pt1. The Cottage

Cait - 

This house is worse than I thought it would be. It just sort of… Gives off waves of creepiness. I can imagine a creepy old lady coming out of the kitchen and trying to offer me come old boiled lollies… Everything is pink or white and covered in dust. The lacy curtains have been torn and the many plants strewn around the house, are dead. Apart from that, the house is perfectly neat and that, in some ways, is the creepiest thing. Although dust has settled on every surface, all of the furniture is still in place and little personal items still sit on the shelves. It feels as if someone should still live here although Jinxx continuously assures us that it is empty. The door was unlocked so we just walked in. The living room smells funny. It smells like old lady and dust.

On the walls, there are a number of photos including a photo featuring about a bazillion different, weird looking cats…

“Crazy cat lady!” Ashley says.

“I always thought I’d end up like that… But Aniissa won’t let me…”

“NO! You will not! I’m not even going to let you get ONE cat!” He nods and I put my hand to my heart.

“I’m touched.”

“I’m going to go…. Into the kitchen!” Sammi anounces and walks off.

“Where are we going to go? There isn’t very much of this house to search…..” Jinxx wanders off to look at the stuff on the shelves. “I’ll just stay here… You guys go check the bedrooms or something.”

Ashley grins cheekily and I roll my eyes. He grabs my hand and drags me off down the corridor. There are two bedrooms and a bathroom that split off from the hallway. I go into one bedroom and Ash goes into the other.

This room is strangely empty. There isn’t actually a bed in it… but in the corner, there is a cot. Hanging from the roof are wind chimes and little blue fish on strings. A baby. There was a baby in here…

“Oh god!” Demi squeaks.

What is it?

“I…. I think…. What if it’s still there?!”

I swallow and push the thought from my mind. Sure, the rooms stinks but there can’t be a baby in here… I walk over to the cot and hold me breath as I peer inside. It’s empty. 

Demi sighs in relief and I reach in to move around the blankets at the bottom of the cot.. No statute. It isn’t anywhere else in the room either so I go to inspect the bathroom. It’s in need of a serious clean…

Ash screams. It’s a proper, girly scream and race into the second bedroom.

“What is it?” I ask as I skid around the corner. I trip on the carpet and go sliding into the door.

“There was a rat…” Ashley whispers and I can’t help but laugh at him.

“Did that really warrant a girly scream?”

“It wasn’t girly!”

“Ash, even I can’t scream like that…”

He glares at me and pulls me to my feet.

Since neither of us found the statue we walk back out to the lounge room.

Jinxx is sitting on one of the couches, head in hands. Sammi is kneeling in front of him with a hand on her fiance’s shoulder.

“What’s going on?” I ask and Jinxx looks up at me, his lips slightly parted.

He shakes his head and goes back to staring at the floor.

“Jinxx what’s happened?” Ashley walks over to him.

“It’s Andy and Aniissa…” Jinxx takes a deep breath and looks up at us. “The building collapsed… they didn’t make it out.”

They… didn’t… make it out… “What do you mean?” I whisper. I know the answer to this question. “WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!” I shout. They can’t be dead! I’ve know Aniissa since the start of high school! She can’t be gone…

“They didn’t make it Cait…” Sammi stares straight at me. “They’re gone.” Her voice is shaking and I hope that I misheard her.

I can feel the tears falling and trailing down my cheeks. I want to throw up. I want to hide. I want to… I don’t even know.

Ash is wrapping his arms around me and crushing me into his chest but I can hardly see him. Dead…. My best friend is… And Andy… No. No.No. No. NO!! 

“NO!” I shove Ashley away as the tears blur my already messed up vision. I can’t breath. 

“Caity..” Ash looks like he’s going to cry but I can’t stay in here. 

“No. No no no no no. NO!” I shout again and race from the house. I don’t know where I’m going but I don’t stop. After a while, my feet get sore and I stumble to stop. I sit down on the side of the path and curl into a little ball. I don’t care if I look like a homeless person.

“Caity… I’m sorry,” Ash is next to me. I can’t have run far.

“Me too,” I sniffle. I’m not the only one who lost two of my friends.

“We’re going to go meet up with CC and Jake now. They’re still at their mansion… Well, the ruins of it anyway.”

I look up at him and he reaches out to wipe a tear from my cheek. He smiles sadly and helps me to stand up.