23. A Light in the Darkness

Aniissa -

My body aches as I run. A tiny part of me knows I’ve made a mistake but I don’t have to listen to her. Over the past few months I’ve continued trading parts of my soul to Sullivan for more strength, more power and more time. Now all that’s left of me is a psychopath who murders and tortures for fun. I‘m not complaining though, as I said, it’s fun. All the voices shouting in my head aren’t helping either but who cares if I’m insane? In the end I can keep all the power for myself. Even Phyra will kneel before me.

There are too many voices in my head, it’s driving me mad! Well, more mad than before.

There’s a sharp pain in the back of my head and I stop running and nearly fall to the ground.

“Shut up!” I scream. “Leave me alone!”

“We’re almost there you silly girl!” Sullivan won’t shut up but his voice starts to fade and I close my eyes. It’s dark and quite. I open them only to see someone standing in front of me. They’re dressed in white but I can’t see their face.

“You’re a stupid girl.” Their voice is echoing all around me. I let out a low growl. I don’t need any more people calling me stupid.

“Yeah and you’re dead meat!” I shout back as I send my shadows flying towards her but they don’t seem to reach. There’s a circle of light stopping them.

She walks forward and the light moves with her.

“I won’t let you hurt them.”  I try and focus on her face and gasp. It’s me. But how? Is this the part of me that’s trying to hold on to sanity?

“JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!” I scream and try to run but fall and land on my hands and knees. The “sane” Aniissa is suddenly beside me.

“I will destroy you before you can hurt them. THEY TRUSTED YOU!” She snarls. I try and back away but she pins me down. What’s this feeling? Fear? I haven’t felt anything like this since I first traded part of my soul… Her face is inches from mine and I stare into her eyes. Her hazel eyes.

~~~

I look down into the black eyes of the monster I’ve become. I’m the ‘sane’ Aniissa, rejected from my own body. Why did I give in to the madness? I can’t believe I was so weak. I drag ‘insane’ me’s arms around and hold them down with my knees as I sit on her stomach. I wrap my now free hands around her throat and squeeze.

“You’re a monster and I’ll stop you!” I manage to spit out. Here I am strangling then insane Aniissa calling her a monster? Oh well, I was always a bit of a hypocrite.

“You’re not part of me anymore! YOU NEVER WILL BE AGAIN!” She chokes. With that she seems to explode into a dust pile. I can’t feel her any more. I no longer feel anything close to insane.

She’s gone.

~~~

‘Sane’ Aniissa’s hands are wrapped around my throat and I close my eyes.

“Why stop now? A few more steps and you will live a long and happy life…” It’s Sullivan again, it’s just like he’s finishing his sentence from before. It’s like no time has passed yet it felt like I had spent an eternity being strangled by my other half.

I open my eyes and look up at the huge building in front of us, well me.

“Is it in there?” I ask.

“Yes,” Sullivan says. If I could see his face, well if he has one, he would be smiling.

I slam my body into the door. Ashley’s begging me to stop.

“I’m sorry Ashley.” I whisper aloud. “I have to do this.”

~~~

I look around. Insane Aniissa’s disappeared and I’m surrounded by nothing but darkness. I sit in my little circle of light and start to silently sob. I’ve lost her. Me. She’s gone. I have no control over my body at all anymore, only that monster and Sullivan do now.

“Stupid, stupid, stupid.” I mutter to myself as I collapse to the ground. I used all my energy trying to bring myself back, now I can’t even look out my own eyes anymore.

“Aniissa.” A sweet voice echoes. I look up to face an adorable young girl. She looks relatively normal at first that is until I notice that her hair is actually made of fire and her skirt seems to be water, somehow staying in one form, wrapping around her legs. She also has water floating in one hand and fire in the other. I look at her in shock. Fire and water… Could this be Cait’s demon?

“Aniissa,” she kneels down next to me. “Don’t worry, it will all be okay but you must listen very carefully.”