Chap. 3- Two Homes

Seto sprinted down the hill, careful to not trip and fall onto the gravel. Sliding to a stop at his house, he quickly unlocked the door, fingers crossed.

Please please please be on time-

"SETO!"

No...

"WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE THIS TIME?!" He shrank back, quickly dropping his backpack and walking to the kitchen as quietly as possible, eyes shut tight. The loud footsteps came closer and closer, till Seto felt his father's hands on him, already shoved against the wall. "Start doing your goddamn chores, before I smash the bottle onto your head again."

F-Fuck...

Dropping the brunet down, Seto gasped for breath, the man going back down to the basement. Scrambling up to make dinner, he rooted through the fridge, hoping to find something.

"IT BETTER BE READY IN THIRTY MINUTES!" Panicking and getting whatever looked appetizing, Seto turned on the stove, flinching as the flame burned his hand. Can't get ice... he had to finish this.

Cooking the meal with a burnt hand, he quickly set the table, finishing just as the basement door opened with a slam. Stepping aside to show, Seto quickly grabbed his backpack, scrawling the answers as fast as he could. His phone rang, Seto shoving it underneath the pillow to avoid his father hearing.

Too late.

"WHO WAS THAT CALLING YOU?" Seto quickly took a peek, seeing that it was Ssundee.

W-Why would he call me-

"SETO!" Quickly hanging up and texting, Seto sweated nervously, scribbling the last answer.

A friend.

"Bullshit, you were calling your MOTHER, WEREN'T YOU?!"

Mother's dead!

"You LYING PIECE OF SHIT!" Throwing the phone underneath the couch, Seto shoved all his books to the side as the man stomped over, bottle of whiskey already in hand. Smashing it on the wall, Seto silently screamed, ducking underneath the table. "COME OUT!" He shook in fear, even tears starting to well up from the terror and pain from the glass shards. "THERE YOU ARE!"

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK-

"SETO!" The male smashed his hand onto the floor, panting as the knockback spell pushed his father away, Seto getting up and running to his bedroom. "YOU DARE USE MAGIC?!" Eyes shut tight, Seto bit his lip as he felt himself pulled back, the cracking sound of the wall enough.

The beatings lasted into the night, mixed in with violation and tortures.

"GET HOME ON TIME TOMORROW, PIECE OF CRAP." The bedroom door slammed shut, Seto silently sobbing into the bedsheets.

Somebody... please... Mother... where are you...

________________________________________________________________________________

Ssundee walked down the street, looking around the houses to try and spot the stray cat that the neighboors fed. It was lazily sunbathing on the steps of his house, Ssundee chucking and bending down to pet it. It purred, rolling over and nuzzling his hand.

"Mom, I'm home!" Setting his backpack down onto the living room floor, he flopped onto the couch, taking out the homework.

"I'm making dinner sweetie! How was your day?"

"Great, I made a couple new friends, Ty and Seto!"

"Sky told me about Ty, sounds like those two are cute together." Taking his backpack to the kitchen, Ssundee sat in the dining room as his mother cooked.

"Seto's a mute, so he can't talk."

"I used to have a friend that was mute, but it was just something with her vocal chords. That doesn't apply to every mute person, though." Writing the answers down, Ssundee dug around in his backpack for the science notes. 

Crap! I left my binder at school!

Flipping around in the phone book, Ssundee located Seto's number, or what he thought was his number... It looked like the one the brunet gave him, but the slip of paper was in the pocket of his science binder.

"Pick up, Seto!" Waiting around, he heard Seto pick up for a sec, a loud sound like somebody yelling before hanging up quickly. Ssundee raised his eyebrow. What was that? "I'll try Sky..."

"Hey, Ian! What's up?"

"Can you email me the science notes? I left my binder at school."

"Sure thing, and did you manage to call Seto? I tried calling him to see if he wanted to sit with us in the morning at bus, but he didn't pick up."

"He did pick up when I asked him for the science notes, but then quickly hung up after a loud sound." Ssundee looked on his computer, spotting Sky's email and printing out the notes. "I wonder what's wrong over there..."

"Perhaps he knocked something over?"

"There was also a man's voice, really loud."

"Perhaps that was his dad, scolding him for knocking something over?"

"Perhaps. Oh, and Sky?"

"Yeah?"

"The fuck is up with your handwriting?"

"Heeeeeeeey..."

"It's all scribbly with butter and squid doodles."

"Science class can get boring, you know!" After a little argument on cake and butter, Ssundee hung up, Sky screaming that you need cake to make butter therefore butter was superior. He went back to the notes, trying to dephiper the magical writing of Sky, writing the answers that he was 60% sure incorrect.

"Ssundee, where are you?"

"I'm in the dining room still!"

"Oh, there you are!" His mother came over, smiling while setting down the food. "Clean up your homework, we're getting ready to eat. Call your sister down, can you?"

"Sure!" Ssundee ran upstairs, slightly tripping on the third step.

I wonder what's up with Seto... Hope he's alright.