Explaining

"We still have to explain how... I can't die." I said.

"Wait a minute! You said you had a condition." Brendan said.

"Let me explain this to you. Then you will understand. When we were at the hospital, Autumn gave me that medication. It said 'cure for flu', but my Mom's phone gave a notification that said 'there is no cure'."

"So? Those people could have been saving themselves and keep the discovery​ to themselves. There are many other reasons too. " Brendan retorted. Rider remained quiet with a blank look on his face.

"Brendan you don't understand! That was just a cover story for the medication! Autumn and I pulled back the label. It was medication to become immortal!" I cried. The whole camp became quiet even the fire stopped crackling.

"Immortal?" Rider asked.

I nodded. "I'm not able to die. I told Autumn to take the medicine with her. She's seeing if she can make it stronger or find a real cure."

I glanced at Autumn and she nodded. "There is no cure. I can make it stronger for emergencies though."

"Did you know about this while taking the shot?" Brendan asked.

"No! Do you really think I would want to be immortal. I have no end. I get to watch everyone that I love die for well forever." I tried to push back the tears. We all thought silently to ourselves.

"Now we need to know what you were doing with those people." I stared at Rider.

"Well you see... After I'm done explaining this I have a question for you."

"Well explain then." I said.

"My Uncle leads the group."

"Wait a minute! Slay is your uncle. The one I am so steamed about?" I asked.

"Yeah... He took me in after my parents... Well... Died." I frowned. He said the word 'died' so carefully like by saying the word we would die too. "Well he pushed me into the group. They taught me how to deceive other people. How to fight. All that good stuff, but they mentioned a girl."

"A girl?" I asked.

"Who?" Brendan asked.

"It was Waverly." My hand flew to my heart. This is getting creepy. Rider looked me in the eyes as he continued. "They were obsessed with you for some reason. They said you were the one." I bit my nails. "Well after that they gave me the assignment to lead you to the trap. After I did, I felt guilty."

"You should have!" I crossed my arms and huffed.

" Sorry guys. I decided to quit and well... I didn't really have a plan. I saw a chance to go with y'all when they tried to blackmail Brendan." Autumn and I glared at Brendan.

"They tried to blackmail Brendan, you say?" I asked.

"Brendan can tell you all about that after my question. What was in that note your father gave you?"

I bit my lip and looked down. "He told me he loved me."

"And?" Rider asked.

"A cannibal... Got them and..." I bit my lip harder as tears started to fall. Autumn put a hand on my shoulder.

"Why didn't you tell us that and how?" Rider asked.

"I had to take it in myself. The note was very crude." I answered. "Now it's Brendan's turn."

"It was the day we were running away from those guys in black. One of them grabbed me. He told me if I did not help them, they would kill my siblings. Well apparently they decided to kill them anyway." Brendan announced.

"It was a revolt against my uncle. Right before I left Slay was having trouble with his crew." Rider spoke up.

"That's why that guy gave me that stupid answer." Brendan said.

"Now that that's cleared up let's get some shut-eye." I said. Everyone slowly went to sleep except for me. I stayed up and watched the fire unaware of the world around me.