12.

The wedding...

"You got the stuff?" I whisper as Ryder and I attempt to sneak out of the ballroom. The wedding is almost over and Ryder snuck into the kitchen to grab some extra food.

He nods and shows me a white take-out box. I smile and follow him to the doors.

"Where are you going?" Graham asks when we finally make it out the doors. He is sitting in the lobby of the hotel, near the elevators.

Ryder visibly tenses, "I don't think it's any of your business."

I laugh because it sounds like the three of us are children fighting over a toy. Both Ryder and Graham stare at me when they hear my laughter.

"You guys aren't really together, are you?" Graham asks. He looks like a confused little boy sitting on the floor with his tuxedo jacket in a ball next to him. He looks like he did when we first met, unsure and hopeful.

"We are," Ryder answers for us. Graham sighs and I can tell he's giving up. "And if I hear that you were kissing, touching, or talking to Addison again you will not walk away easily."

"You told him?" Graham asks standing up. He has dust on the knee of his pants and he looks uncomfortable around us now.

I nod. We don't say anything else as we make our way into the elevator.

"I wanted to punch him but I'm holding all this food," Ryder shrugs.

I smirk, "sure, Ryder."

"You don't think I'd win?" He asks, still slurring a bit.

I look him up and down for the millionth time. His body looks so good in the white button up shirt and fitted pants. I hope I'm not drooling, "I know you would. But we have better things to do," I say walking towards our hotel room.

"Food and sex?" He asks.

"The best combination," I answer.

***

We are on the road by 10 in the morning. We packed up, fed Boomer, and headed out. I wanted to leave before running into any wedding guests or Graham.

We are silent for a while. The music is playing softly. Ryder is driving, he has one hand on the wheel and the other resting on the center console. I want to run my fingers over his hand and then through his messy hair. But then that would lead to sex and we can't have sex in the flower shop van or in front of Boomer.

"So what happens when we get back?" I ask.

He glances at me, "what do you mean?"

"Are we friends? Or are we forgetting each other?" I trail off. My heart is pounding in my chest for some reason.

"Are we really having the 'define the relationship' conversation?" He laughs but I can tell it's not real.

I don't say anything. I don't want him to think I'm in love with him or anything but I also don't want this to end.

He's fun and different. I like that he laughs at my dumb jokes and that I could stare at him forever.

"Addison," he says and takes my hand in his.

"I think you're great and funny," he starts.

I rip my hand out of his and hold it up, "no, no, no. Do not give me the fucking compliment sandwich."

"The what?"

"You say 'you're great and funny,'" I say mocking his deep voice, "that's the compliment. Then you say 'but I'm not looking for a relationship' that's the middle, then "but if I was going to have a relationship I'd want to with you' or some equally lame compliment."

I finish in a rush. We are in traffic so Ryder is looking at me with an amused smile on his face.

"What?" I ask.

"That was basically exactly what I was going to say."

I laugh because I don't know what else to do.

"I don't want a relationship either," I say.

"What do you want?" He asks.

"No strings attached sex."

He doesn't look at me or say anything as we begin driving again. He pets Boomer when he sticks his head in between us and remains silent.

"Do you think we can handle that?" He finally asks.

"Why wouldn't we?"

"I don't know," he says and glances over at me.

We go our separate ways and I'm not sure if I want to say goodbye forever or hope that he calls me tomorrow.