25.

Two weeks later...

The flower shop is bustling with business. Moms with their lanky teenage sons are standing in line waiting to put an order in. Prom is the busiest time of the year and also the most annoying.

It usually plays out like this:
Mom: what color is *insert date's name's* dress?
Lanky Teenage Son: I don't know. Like, blue?
Mom: *visibly angry* can you text her?
Lanky Teenage Son: uhh, do I have to?

Then I say in my most pleasant tone, "white roses with baby's-breath look very nice and will match any color."

Then when the mother looks unsure I add, "I'll put you down for white but if you figure out the color of the dress let me know and I'll change it for you."

"That would be perfect," the mom says or some variation of that.

And the money keeps on coming.

"Does it hurt you to have to fake that so many times in an hour?" Ryder says from the other side of the counter. Since he's been out of work he's been helping out here.

"My face is burning from all the smiling and every time I speak. I want to throw up," I answer hoping we have a lull before the afternoon crowd shows up.

He walks towards me and kisses me over the counter. He winces slightly when the counter makes contact with his stomach. He is in a lot less pain than a few weeks ago.

"You okay?" I ask.

"Yup. Should be good to go back to work in a couple weeks," he says with a smile on his face. He has been a bit lost without work the last few weeks and it's been an adjustment for both of us.

The bell rings and I groan hoping it's not another prom order. Instead Carley and Gabe come walking in. Carley looks like she might puke and surprisingly Gabe looks worse.

"Did you guys drink without us last night?" I ask pointing a finger at Carley.

"What? No! I would never," she says.

"Then why do you two look hung over as fuck?" Ryder asks just as a mother and son come walking up from behind them.

I fake gasp, "excuse me, Sir. That language is not welcome in my wholesome flower shop. Please remove yourself or I will call security." I have my arms crossed and the three of them look like they are holding in laughter.

The woman looks confused but is on a mission, "my son needs a corsage for his prom date."

"Mhm, color?" I ask. And the whole cycle starts over again.

The three of them head to the back room while I finish this order.

They're all sitting down waiting for me.

"What's up?" I ask a bit nervous. It looks like an intervention or something.

"I got the results back," Gabe starts. Carley looks down and picks at her nail polish while Gabe looks between us nervously.

"The baby's mine," he says.

"Is that good?" Ryder asks.

"I don't know yet," Gabe sighs, "I still have to figure everything out."

"Whatever you need, we're here for you," I say patting his hand from across the table, "except diapers. I am not doing that." I give Carley a look that says we'll talk more about this later.

Ryder smiles and wraps his arm around my shoulder. We hear the bell ring and I groan, "come on!"

"I'll take care of the next rush," Carley says. "Let's go, Gabe. This is what your future looks like."