BONUS CHAPTER 6

Unedited.

**I mixed the two ideas into this chapter. This is from when Lily and Sammy are about two and they have no other kids or kids on the way!**

"We have to go find a tree," I say impatiently while waiting for Ryder to get home. We are on the phone and he is taking his sweet time getting here. We live only twenty minutes from the firehouse and sometimes it feels like a different state while how long it takes.

It always feels even longer when he's been gone for a couple nights.

"I'll be home in a little bit, chill," he says, "get Lily and Sammy ready and I'll just beep and you guys can all come out."

I roll my eyes and sigh, "if you beep then Oliver and Boomer are going to flip. That isn't fair."

I can hear his annoyance in his tone, "then wait by the window and when you see me just come outside."

"Good idea."

Now it's time to fight with the twins to put on their shoes. It's a daily struggle. It's like the second they turned two they decided wearing shoes and clothing was optional.

"Lily, Sammy, we're going to go get a Christmas tree!" I say with as much enthusiasm as I can muster. I didn't want a real tree because they sometimes light on fire. When I brought that point up to Ryder he shrugged and said that he knows how to put out fires.

Then I said they make a huge mess and I don't want the dogs eating the falling pine needles. He didn't seem to care much about that either. His family never had a real tree so he is determined to make this a tradition.

Last year was an epic fail when we went too early in the season and ended up with a dead tree by Christmas. Ryder has asked coworkers and researched the best time to get the tree. So here we are on a freezing cold Saturday in December waiting to go cut down a tree.

Well, I don't think we're cutting down the tree.

"No shoe," Lily demands.

"No shoe," Sammy repeats and smirks. These two kids are going to be the death of me.

"If you don't put your shoes on you're going in a stroller like a baby," I threaten.

Each set of blue eyes get wide at the mention of a baby stroller. And like tornado they are off trying to find shoes. Maybe threatening toddlers isn't the best parenting method, but it works. It works really fucking well.

"Mommy," they say each holding out different shoes. I swap out the shoes so they at least match. I'll let my kids go out in princess crowns and crazy stripped socks, but I draw the line at mismatched shoes.

"Daddy?" Lily asks.

"Almost home," I tell her and we stand by the window and wait.

A few minutes later Ryder pulls into the driveway and we are heading out the door. I try to balance my purse as well as my crazy toddlers, while trying to open the door without the dogs getting loose, and then locking the door.

Ryder comes to my rescue scooping up our two giggling girls and placing them in their carseats while I get in the driver's seat.

"Hey! get up," Ryder says standing by the door dangling the keys from his fingers with a smirk.

I look at him then back to the keys in his hand. He thinks he has me so I let him smirk and laugh for a couple seconds longer. Then I dangle the spare set up for him to see and wink, "passenger seat, babe."

"I hate when you drive," he says.

"Lies. I drove on our first date."

He laughs, "now we have two kids instead of one giant dog in the car."