Chapter 15

With a full stomach, I glided through Kronx's tunnel. While walking seemed to have taken ages, flying took less than a minutes. Regardless, I was pleased to finally be in the cavern once more, protected from the freezing wind. Sure, outside was warmer than it had been last night, but... after resting in the warm waters in Kronx's den, it seemed freezing.

"Someone's in a hurry," a deep voice rumbled in amusement as I burst through the tunnel and into the cavern itself. Automatically, I glanced around for the giant dragon, and finally spotted him draped across a glittering ledge higher up in the cave. As I watched, Kronx twitched his dark blue wings. "Shall we get started?"

"On what?" I frowned, having no recollection of the dark blue drake saying we were going to do anything. Below me, wading in the bright blue waters, Rutilus rolled his molten eyes in amusement.

"Did you think you could do whatever you wanted once you got here?" Kronx challenged, rising swiftly from the ledge. Spreading his huge, membranous wings, the dark blue dragon glided lower, carefully avoiding the walls. Intense silver eyes held my gaze firmly- demanding an answer. "Especially since both of you know so little about your own species."

That, at least, was a topic that the dark blue dragon had brought up before. Instead of bothering to protest, I tilted my head curiously.

"I see. So what are you teaching us today?" Flicking my tail, I landed in the warm water delicately. Rutilus waded towards me, his golden eyes bright with mock amusement.

"Finally, a good question!" The red dragon exclaimed, before suddenly becoming somber as Kronx fixed him under his silver stare. "Its about humans, isn't it? I mean, today's 'lesson'. Because you wouldn't risk teaching us to fight just yet, nor can you teach us much about breathing fire..."

Kronx did not answer aloud, instead dipping his dark blue head silently. Not once did his silver eyes leave either of us. Instead, he slowly stood up, and bright blue water cascaded down from his back. Even as I watched, he flared his magnificent dark blue wings, stretching them high into the air.

"Come," his sonorous voice rang throughout the cave.

With one fluid motion, the dark blue dragon streaked out of the cavern, and I hastily followed him. What did the dark blue dragon have in mind to teach us? He claimed that we had a lot to learn, but...

Rutilus barreled past me, his molten eyes shining with curiosity. When he turned back towards me, they were narrowed slightly, as though contemplating something. I could have sworn his eyes glittered with nervousness and for the first time, slight hesitation. "I'm not sure if I should be excited and eager, nervous and worried, or bored," he admitted, staring after Kronx's form in the sunlight.

"Indeed," I snorted softly, amused that he was more worried about what the dark blue dragon was going to teach them then he had been nervous about what Kronx wanted in return. Something really did not feel right. But if he was going to teach us how to breath fire- something I had only ever dreamed of doing...

Sunlight warmed my back as I soared out of the tunnel. Already, Kronx was perched on one of the neighboring peaks, his dark form glittering against the pale sky. For a dragon so huge, he was fast. Faster than what I had thought impossible for a dragon. Flying at his speed would surely stop humans from capturing us once more. And he would teach us how to fly that fast if we stayed with him. 

As we neared, the dark blue dragon spoke. Silver eyes swept over me, before darting to Rutilus. "Learning about humans is a good guess," Kronx told the bright red dragon, examining him closely. "But you and Argentum both know more about humans than most. So not humans- at least, not today."