Chapter 33

Snarling in frustration, I raised my wings. Beating my wings powerfully, I shot through the air, my eyes locked onto Master. There was no way I'd let him leave and hurt more dragons. None at all. Lashing my tail, I flung myself forwards.

"Argentum!" A powerful roar echoed through the sky. For a split second, I faltered, glancing behind me. Kronx was chasing after me, his silver eyes dark.

When I turned back towards the amber dragon, he was already further away, rapidly shrinking in size as he shot through the sky. Ignoring a warning growl from Kronx, I shot forwards. I'd still be able to catch up to Master.

"No!" Kronx commanded with another powerful roar. From the corner of my eye, I spotted him lunging towards me. Not daring to think what would happen if we collided, I recoiled, instantly slowing down. 

Satisfied that I wasn't going to shoot off again, the dark blue dragon slowed down. "Let him go," he held my gaze firmly. "You can always have your revenge another time."

"But -"

"No," he interrupted, shaking his head. Staring me in the eye, his voice softening as he continued. "Chase him, and you risk your life. They could be returning to other dragons, whom would surely overwhelm you. After all, you are exhausted, whether you like it or not."

My head sagged, staring after Master one last time. But Kronx was right. I was exhausted. Now that I was no longer fighting or chasing the dragons, and adrenaline was no longer pumping through my veins... my wings were heavier. Before, I'd been able to ignore my wounds, but now, they stung.

"On the bright side, your friend is free," the dark blue dragon added, flicking his tail towards the distant black dot glittering against the sky. "Your Master might have escaped, but we won the battle." His silver eyes held mine for a moment more before swinging himself around towards the Black Beast and Rutilus.

Instinctively, I trailed after him, relaxing as cool wind brushed against my wings.

Neither of us said anything, but there was no need to as we weaved through the mountains. We were both content weaving through the mountains, the wind carrying us as we approached Rutilus and the Black Beast at a steady pace.

Both drakes watched us, hovering above the entrance to Kronx's cave. Beneath them, the three newcomers seemed to be in deep conversation, although not unaware of our approach.

"Raegon said he wants to hunt - can we?" Rutilus's golden eyes gleamed brighter as he glanced down towards the ground longingly. Hopefully. 

Kronx snorted, stiffening ever do slightly. With an almost unaudible voice, he questioned, "Raegon?"

"That's me," the Black Beast reaffirmed, his metallic grey eyes gleaming with pride for a split second, before darkening again. 

Moments passed as both dragons held each other's gazes. Raegon shifted uncomfortably, becoming more and more tense as the bigger dragon examined him curiously.

"You are the one that caused the Dragon King so much trouble," Kronx stated, his voice full of awe. The Black Beast dipped his head slightly. A sharp exhale escaped the dark blue dragon, before he lowered his head in respect. "It is... An honour to finally meet you at long last."

Confused, I exchanged a glance with Rutilus. What was going on? Never had Kronx acted in such a way, nor could I figure out why. If he had not met Raegon before, how did Kronx know who he was? Unless...

A deep chuckle cut off my chain of thought. The dark blue dragon was glancing between Rutilus and I, having noticed our confusion. "Interesting that you know so little of one of the dragons you were raised around," Kronx mused, before turning towards the Black Beast. "Though apparently you never said much - especially about yourself."

The black drake avoided Kronx's gaze, although his steely grey eyes hardened. He had his reasons, none of which he was willing to share. 

"Argentum, Rutilus," the dark blue dragon rumbled, flicking his tail towards the Black Beast. "This dragon is perhaps a legend among our kind. The only dragon whom has defied the Dragon King numerous times, and lived. Succeeded." 

Surprise jolted through me as I stared at the black dragon with renewed respect. Many times I had wondered what his life had been like when he had been free, to make him so grumpy. Never would I have considered him to have been a legend.

He'd been a legend, and, he'd known it.

No wonder he never shared his name. Not just in fear of the humans' punishing him, but for the shame that would surely come if the other dragons realised that he was the dragon they had all looked up to - and yet, he was among the first to have been captured. No wonder had he had resisted the humans when he could. He'd felt that it was his job to, having already defied the Dragon King numerous times. And then he'd been irritable and bitter because he had been frustrated by the lack of times and severity he'd been able to defy the humans.

Raegon's bloodstained scales rippled as he fidgeted uncomfortably, not particularly enjoying the attention. Glancing from Rutilus to Kronx, he grunted, "You didn't answer his question. Can we hunt or not?"

Kronx paused, glancing across the mountains. His silver eyes sifted across the sky, searching for any signs of threats. Reluctantly, he sighed. "Go. But try not to take too long. The humans have found us; we must not linger."

The Black Beast dipped his head, narrowing his grey eyes. "Is it worth leaving straight away then? Where would we go?"

"Go hunt," the dark blue dragon shook his head wearily. "You are starved. We're all tired. Eat, and rest. Tomorrow, we may worry about where we will go... We can only hope that the humans won't return until then."

No longer quite so excited for food, Rutilus cast an anxious glance across the sky before holding my gaze. His golden gaze was bright with alarm, rapidly fusing to burning fury. His lips curled back slightly, just enough to reveal his sharp fangs, and smoke streamed from his jaws.

"They took our freedom, and now our home," Rutilus growled, lashing his tail powerfully. Narrowing his eyes, he turned towards Kronx's den, before at the dark blue dragon himself. "We must have our revenge."

Kronx said nothing, although his stormy silver eyes darkened in disapproval.

*~*

1083 words

Not once has Imperial been over #100 in fantasy since the 7th of September - today, it is 74th in fantasy! Thank you guys so much! :D

I'll try to get at least another chapter out by the end of the week. The holidays are just about to start, so I should be able to update more regularly then.