Chapter 30

Kronx's stormy silver eyes raged with fury.

"I think they pinpointed the location of your den when they saw you fly off," the golden dragoness's voice was steady, but her glittering purple eyes betrayed her fear. "Neira sent me to warn you. She... she wanted to fight them off with Kodar. Have her revenge." Kaiya's amethyst eyes gleamed faintly, enough for me to realise that she wanted to do the same thing.

The dark blue drake growled, staring down towards his mountains. "Under normal circumstances, I would have just left. No point returning to your home if the humans know where it is," his voice was a quiet rumble that echoed across the sky. "But if your friends are there, fighting the humans... then we have no choice but to go back."

Not waiting for a response, he swept his wings tight against his body, enabling him to swoop down and gain speed. Already, he was weaving through the mountains, racing towards his cave. Tearing my eyes away from his glittering dark form, I turned towards Kaiya and Rutilus.

"If you want to fight, you should follow him," I broke the silence, watching as Kaiya's eyes flashed with excitement and fear. Never before had she fought the humans; this would be the first time. And as much as she wanted her revenge... She was scared.

Rutilus pumped his wings eagerly, gradually drifting towards Kronx's cave. Hints of impatience flashed across his dark gold eyes as he waited for Kaiya's response. Had it not been for her fear, he would already be chasing Kronx.

The golden dragoness fidgeted awkwardly, her amethyst gaze shifting towards Rutilus. A heavy wing-beat drew her closer to the drake, and she raised her wings higher as she readied to dive down and attack with Kronx.

Impatiently, Rutilus swept his tail back and forth. "Come on," he urged, purposefully dipping towards the mountains. Watching Kaiya for a few seconds more, he tucked his wings against his flank before dropping down through the sky, gaining momentum.

Not wanting to be left behind, especially since Kaiya was going to come, I thrust my wings forwards. The wind roared as I plummeted through the skies. I could feel it engulf me, its cool grasp flowing around my tightly clamped wings, speeding up the journey.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Rutilus's silhouette swerve around the mountain. He was not far away - I knew that if I wanted to, I could catch up to him within a couple of seconds. But I didn't. Because higher up in the sky, I could see Kaiya hovering uncertainly. Wanting to follow, but unsure whether that was the best decision.

Biting back a grumble of irritation, I slowed down. "Wait there if you want," I called, pausing to make sure that she had heard me. Listening to my words echo through the mountain, I watched as the golden dragon swung her head towards me, her amethyst eyes flickering hesitantly. "We'll be back soon."

Yet no sooner had I uttered the words, did a shrill roar sliced through the air. Searching for the source of the noise, I briefly scanned the mountains and the sky until my gaze landed on a dark shape hovering directly above Kronx's mountain.

Was that Kronx? What had happened? Had Kronx already driven the dragons out of his mountain? Not wanting to miss out on whatever was left of the fight, I darted forwards, swinging between the mountains until Kronx's den was finally within sight.

But the dark dragon was alone as it hovered directly above the mountain. Snarls and hisses echoed through the den - obviously the fight still raged. So why was Kronx not joining in the fight?

Narrowing my gaze, I examined the big, dark dragon.

Not Kronx.

Whilst the dark dragon was big, Kronx would still tower over him. Covered in dry blood, there was no way the scales could have been Kronx's. Even the colour was more black than it was dark blue. Ugly scars and wounds were scattered across his flank, both fresh and old. More than I had ever recalled Kronx having.

My heart skipped a beat as the black dragon slowly turned his head towards me. My breath caught in my throat as recognition flashed through his dull grey eyes.

Heart now fluttering in my chest, I stared at the dragon in a mix of horror and relief.

I knew this dragon.

Before, he had not had quite so many wounds. But there was no denying that he was the Black Beast. Bitter and furious, yet when I had escaped, he had done everything he could to help us. Finally, I could return the favour.

"You!" A familiar voice seethed from the top of the Black Beast. Shrinking away, I did not dare take my eyes off the human. I had known Master well enough to know that the moment I was distracted, he'd do everything he could to hurt me.

A low growl reverberated through the air.

"Go. Go while you can," Black Beast rasped, his voice weak. Tired. Strained. I could not recall his voice being so tenuous. Was that the result of the months of torture the humans had put him through?

Grey eyes held mine. His eyes had always been a dull grey, but before I had escaped, they had always churned angrily. Now... they were flat. Empty. As though he had finally given up.

Trembling, I stared at the black dragon I had always awed my entire life. Bitter and furious, hating the humans for keeping him as a slave. Always resisting them, silently fighting back in whatever way he could.

And now, he fought no more.

Now, because I had escaped, the humans had turned their wrath towards him, forcing him to finally give up.

"Yes, that's right," a wicked smile stretched across Master's weathered face. Beneath his bushy eyebrows, his black eyes glared at me, in that way that he normally scrutinised me when he thought of punishments. Slapping the dark dragon's scales in faint amusement, he smirked, "The Black Beast has finally been tamed."

There was not even a glimmer of rage smouldering in the black dragon's eyes at those words.

The Black Beast drifted closer. His wingbeats were rigid, almost robotic, but he could not stop himself from gradually approaching him. On his back, Master sneered, muttering something to the black dragon.

Pain and regret glistened in his eyes as he drew his fangs back in a snarl - a warning. And suddenly, I knew. I had been wrong when thinking that the Black Beast had stopped fighting. And so were the humans. Despite having been reduced to such a pitiful state, and incapable of resisting the humans as he had been able to do before... he was doing everything he could to fight back. otherwise he wouldn't have warned me. Small as it was, there was still a spark of fury in him, that longed to have his revenge.

Somehow, that was all the reassurance I needed as the big, black dragon sprang towards me. Months of training took over. Ducking out of the way, I reached for the warmth resting within my throat.

When Black Beast turned towards me yet again, I was ready. He flared his massive wings, bunching his muscles as he readied to attack me.  Tongues of flame escaped my jaws, and the black dragon staggered back, his grey eyes lightening with relief and hope. 

I glanced at Master, eager to see his reaction, only to find that he was no longer looking at me. Instead, his attention was averted onto something in the sky. 

Confused, I turned to follow his gaze, just in time to see a glimmer of gold scales shoot past me.

A split second later, the Black Beast grunted, his legs buckling under his weight as the gold dragoness slammed into him. 

*~*

1343 words

Whoop! Chapter 30 out! Roughly another 20 to go! :D

Please do vote if you enjoyed, and all comments are appreciated :)

Chapter 31 will be out soon.