Chapter 28

My heart skipped a beat as I stared at the golden dragoness in horror. All of the dragons I had grown up around were being tortured. Shuddering, I recalled the way Master's black eyes had burned maliciously right before he hurt me. How easy it was to imagine him and the other humans doing the same thing with the rest of the dragons!

"No," I breathed, trying to shake the image out of my mind. Yet it was impossible to ignore the image of any dragon howling pain - not to mention the ones I knew. And if Soriak and the Black Beast were somehow alive, then they would be among the first to be tortured. For the first time since Soriak had been captured, I hoped that she had been killed. Dying would have been so much better than being tortured - and knowing that the other dragons would soon be the victims.

Beside me, I was dimly aware of Rutilus breathing harshly, barely able to keep himself in the air. His dark gold eyes were anguished as he stared into the distance.

My head lowered. Grief and pain clawed at my heart. How hopeful I had been, to think that I could rescue Soriak and the Black Beast, after they had sacrificed themselves. Even if they were not dead, they would be soon.

"N-no!" I flinched when my voice cracked. "We have to help them!"

"Which is doing exactly what the humans want," Kronx growled, although his silver eyes were soft. Sympathetic. "Why do you think they are torturing them in the first place? To lure you back, so they can capture you again!"

He was right, of course. There was no other explanation for why the humans would do such a thing.

But I would not, could not leave the dragons there, leaving them to be persecuted. Even if I could not save Soriak or the Black Beast... I owed it to them. Owed it to Raffael, for freeing me. After all, I had promised him that I would.

"We need to help them," I insisted, glancing at the other three dragons pleadingly. Hoping that they would agree with me. Yet they were silent, watching onwards dolefully.

Rutilus glanced up at Kronx hopefully.

"No!" the dark blue drake snarled. Lashing his tail, he held my gaze disapprovingly. "Don't ask me again. My answer will not change."

Furiously, I glared at the dark blue dragon. Did he not understand that we needed to save the dragons? How could he expect me to stay here and train, when the only other dragons I knew were slowly dying off?

Kronx did not hold my gaze. For a split second, I could have sworn that I saw a flash of sorrow and guilt glimmer in his silver eyes, but as quickly as it appeared, it was gone. Leaving me to wonder if I had just imagined the flurry of emotions that had raced across the older dragon's eyes.

As I watched, he turned to face the other three dragons. "Follow me," he rumbled, water drops sliding down his scales as he slowly twisted himself around. "My cave is not too far."

Both the dark green dragoness and white drake trailed Kronx, but Kaiya hesitated. Yet again, her amethyst eyes darted across the cloudy sky, before locking onto the dark blue dragon.

Confused, I exchanged a glance with Rutilus. Why was she waiting?

After a few moments, the white drake noticed she was not following. "Kaiya, come on. We must rest."

"I know," she lowered her head, her voice a soft whisper which I could barely hear over the roaring wind and the bucketing rain. But I could easily see her purple eyes flash with fear as she glanced towards us. "But Kodar... I don't want to lead the humans to them. They're already in enough danger."

Something in the white drake's dark blue eyes softened. "I know. But right now, we need rest. Tomorrow, we can worry about these things," he shook his head abruptly with a flick of his white tail - a silent command for her to follow him. "Neira will make sure that we are safe."

Hesitating one last time, Kaiya's amethyst gaze held mine, before reluctantly following Kodar.

I watched silently as the dragons left, not exactly sure what to think. Not long ago, I had been like them. And now they were free, bearing news of the torture of the dragons I had laboured alongside.

Rutilus remained beside me, his golden eyes narrowed. His lips were curled in a snarl, exposing his sharp fangs as he breathed heavily.

"We need to go. Now!" Rutilus snarled, his voice hoarse. Confused, I whipped my head around to see his lips curled in a snarl, exposing his sharp fangs as he breathed heavily.

"What?"

"We need to go rescue the other dragons!" the red and gold drake elaborated, his molten eyes gleaming strangely. "Kronx has made it clear that he won't help us - or let us go. That's why we need to go now!"

"Not right now," I growled softly, holding his gaze firmly. "Next week, maybe."

Rutilus's eyes widened. "No! We have to go now! Th-they're dying, Argentum!"

"I know," I snarled, "I want to go now and save them. But I can't... My wing has only just healed. I can't risk it just yet. Plus, you'd be fighting he storm for a while, and it won't be too long before you need to stop and rest."

The red and gold drake stared at me, eyes flashing with frustration and annoyance. Bu as I watched, he relaxed - even if only slightly. "I guess your right," he admitted, before glancing across the sky longingly. "Tomorrow?"

"No. We'll need a day or two to prepare, make sure that we are strong enough. Fast enough," I explained, thinking carefully. "Perhaps the day after tomorrow will do. Finally we'll be able to free them!"

Excitement rushed through me. Finally, I'd be able to save the dragons I'd grown up alongside! Finally, I could take revenge on the humans whom had kept me as a slave for my entire life. Already, I could imagine the horror and fear in each humans' eyes as we swooped down. Could imagine the satisfaction I'd feel when I killed master.

Soon, that would be soon. Two days.

Just so long as we weren't captured in the process.

*~*

1094 words

Finally, a little bit of action! What do you think Kronx will do when he finds out what Rutilus and Argentum are planning? 

And what do you think of the new characters?  

Please do drop a vote - it does mean a lot to me! :D