Chapter 25

The dark blue dragon slowly stood up and stretched his wings. "Although... it might not be a bad idea to go outside. Judging by how you flew just before, you'll be just fine," his sonorous voice echoed through the cave as he slowly turned around and leapt through the tunnel.

Outside. Finally - I could fly outside once more. On the wind, swerving between mountains as I hunted for prey. Entranced, I stared after Kronx, imagining what it would be like to be back in the sky once more.

"Don't you want to fly?" Rutilus interrupted my thoughts, his own gold eyes still bright with excitement. Tilting his head, he added, "Come on! Why wait around here when you can fly?"

Narrowing my eyes, I chased after the red and gold dragon even as he bolted through the tunnel. Picking up speed, I easily raced past him. While flying earlier had been fun and exciting, even that could not compare to right now.

Wind roared past me as I soared into the sky, finally free of the cavern. Blinking rapidly, my eyes adjusted to the sudden bright light, even as I slowed down.

Looking around, I quickly spotted Kronx's massive bulk illuminated against the cloudy grey sky. Diving merrily between the clouds, his silver eyes glimmered with amusement, watching Rutilus and I as we soared higher and higher.

Weaving through the mountains, I soared on the wind, grateful to be back in the open air. Even if I had only been earthbound for a few days, being back in the sky once more was wonderful. Like flying for the first time - except knowing how, and without Master controlling my ever move.

Master.

All at once, my elation shuttered. Clenching my jaws shut, I growled softly, warily eyeing the sky around me. I knew better than to think that he was nearby, yet even the mere thought of him made my stomach churn in unease. Which dragon was he torturing now? Who had he killed in his search for me?

Hopefully not Soriak, I thought to myself, recalling the pale green dragon whom had sacrificed her freedom for ours. As much as I hoped that she was still alive, I could not forget that she had not gone down without a fight - in which she could have been killed.

"Argentum!" Kronx bellowed, and I jerked in surprise. Swinging around to face the dark blue dragon, I saw Rutilus hovering uneasily beside him, eyes dark. Confused, I glanced back and forth at the two dragons as I steadily approached them.

Slowing to a halt, I whispered, "What is it?"

"Humans," Rutilus hissed, lashing his tail in a mix between anger and frustration. "No dragons this time." He peered at something behind me.

Alarmed, I whipped around, following the red drake's gaze. Trotting around the bases of the mountains, was a large group of horses. And on each of their backs, were humans - all staring up at us.

Muffled shouting broke out, and the horses started to speed up. The clang of iron vibrated through the air, and I shivered, recalling memories of the humans using various weapons to harm me or the other dragons.

Suddenly, I knew. They were going to try to capture us - and would not go away until they had attempted to do so. No matter what we did, they'd stalk us, trying to find where we'd rest to attack us. To capture us, and enslave us.

No. Not again. 

Never again would I submit to a human. I was free now; I would never have to be tortured again.

Not thinking, I screeched in fury, already diving down towards the humans. Somewhere above me, Kronx called my name, demanding me to stay back up in the sky. But this time, I did not care.

Fury washed through me as the humans raised their metal weapons towards me. Snarling, I bared my fangs at them, speeding up as the distance between us closed. Snapping my wings open at the last minute, I skidded to a halt, slamming into a few humans in the process.

Horses squealed in terror, some throwing off the humans on their back as they tried to escape me. Not so much as saying a word, the humans attacked me, raising their metal swords and daggers.

Snarling, I lashed at any human who dared approach. Jaws snapping, tail lashing, it was a wonder that the humans did not stop trying to attack.

Crying out in frustration, a human launched towards my back. Snapping my wings open just in time, his sword bounced off my scales uselessly. Eyes wide, the human retreated away as I snarled at him.

Stabbing pain pierced my underbelly, and I froze. Of course another human would take the opportunity to attack while I stared after the retreating human. Snaking my head around, I saw a human draw a blood-stained blade from my underbelly.

Despite having been tortured by humans relentlessly, the metal sword sliding out out of my flesh sent shivers down my spine. Hissing in pain, I lumbered towards that human, snapping at him viciously as I launched into the air once more.

Soaring back into the sky, I listened to their cries of frustration. Lazily wheeling around them, I stared down at them. All of them were staring at me, shouting in frustration. Yet even as I watched, some started pointing to another spot in the sky, and they raised their weapons once more.

With a growl, I readied myself to turn back around and attack them - only to see Rutilus swooping down and attacking the humans. Even as I watched, he started biting and clawing at the humans, taking a lot of them down. Yet even so, there were so many of them swarming around him, attacking him.

Warmth tickled at my throat, yearning to be let out. Steadily approaching the humans once more, I concentrated in the flames in my throat, readying myself to breath fire. As I approached, the humans cried out a warning to each other, and a bunch of them broke away from Rutilus and towards me.

But I was ready.

As soon as I was close enough, silver fire shot from my jaws. Screams pierced the air, cutting to an end abruptly. Narrowing my eyes, I peered past the smoke and dissipating fire. Humans were staring at us in shock and horror, as though finally realising that they were no match for us.

Triumphantly, I watched as they scrambled away, smoke streaming from my nostrils.

"We did it," I murmured softly, turning towards Rutilus. The red dragon was crouched low to the ground, his jaws still held in a snarl. But as I spoke, his eyes shone brighter - with excitement. "We won. Perhaps we'll be able to rescue the others soon."

"Are you sure? There are a lot more humans there," Rutilus pointed out, although his molten eyes gleamed at the idea. "We might need more time."

I hesitated. He was right - there were more humans. But there were also lots of dragons - who would surely be trying to help us in whatever way they could. "We have fire," I raised my head higher, still keeping an eye on the escaping humans. "And we are faster and stronger than we were."

"You are not going anywhere," Kronx snarled behind us, his silver eyes gleaming furiously.

*~*

1331 words

Next chapter out!

Vote and comment if you enjoyed! :D