Chapter 40

Kronx barely glanced at me, instead watching the Black Beast turn around towards Rutilus. Talons digging into the ground, I shuffled my wings nervously. Even if we'd been successful with his help, the dark blue drake would be far from happy.

Both Rutilus and his mother fell silent, watching as Raegon approached. Both of them stiffened, glancing towards Kronx. Even from such a distance, I could see Rutilus's eyes darken as he uneasily followed Raegon.

Beside him, the dark purple dragoness started following him, only to halt mid-step. Raegon must have insisted that she stayed behind, mother or not.

Eventually, they halted in front of Kronx.

Nostrils flaring, the ancient dragon raked his gaze across the fields, observing each dragon. Releasing a shuddering breath, he raised his wings. "Follow me," his rumbling voice was carefully clipped of any emotion.

Without offering so much as an explanation, he launched into the air, his massive wings immediately turning towards the neighbouring forests.

My heart dropped. If he had to take us elsewhere – away from all the other dragons, he would have to be beyond furious. Butterflies in my stomach, I stepped forwards, and unfurled my wings.

Casting a reluctant glance back at the other dragons, I reluctantly leapt into the air. I'd rather still be on the fields, talking to Soriak and the other dragons. But that was not an option.

"It will be fine," Rutilus reassured me, his melodious voice light and carefree. Scoffing my concern. But even I could see the shadow of doubt darkening his eyes as he surveyed the bigger dragon flying away.

Behind me, the Black Beast snorted. "He might be that little bit happier if he did not have to wait for you," he advised, tilting his head ever so slightly. He tucked his fore-legs against his chest with a delicate flick of his tail. "Come on."

Neither Rutilus or I needed to be told twice.

Dragons peered up at us as we chased after the bigger dragon. But I was too nervous; to anxious to care. Kronx was going to be mad – and I'd only seen him angry once. And that one time... My spines prickled nervously.

He abruptly halted, hovering in the sky. Each of his wing beats were loud, jutting through the air as he twisted around and stared at us.

I cringed away from the storm raging in his silver eyes. Suddenly, the air around me dropped; the wind becoming fingers of ice that rushed past my wings.

Not once did the massive drake utter a word as we halted in front of him. Nostrils flared, he breathed heavily, each breath long and steady. As though he was purposely drawing it out as he studied each of us with acute weariness.

Shifting uncomfortably, I flexed my talons.

Minutes passed. The tension thickened.

"You explicitly disobeyed my command," growling quietly, Kronx fixed Rutilus and I under his intense gaze before we whirled towards the Black Beast. "And you urged them, and led them here."

Raegon said nothing, meeting the dark blue drake's glare blankly.

"You knew that you could well be leading them to their deaths," he stated, still deathly quiet. "Yet you still did."

"It needed to be done," muscles along the Black Beast's flank rippled as he rolled his shoulders. "I was not going to stand back and watch them suffer, when I could try to save them."