Chapter 39

Suddenly, humans cried out - in both shock and fear. Few of them even glanced at the massive drake; most were staring at another point in the sky. Following their gazes, I flared my nostrils. What could possibly be more frightening and noticeable than Kronx?

Icy blue scales glittered under the sunlight, and I immediately understood why the humans payed Kronx little notice.

Swinging my head around in shock, I stared at the dark blue dragon in surprise. "You brought Foruthe!" I exclaimed, watching as the wyvern wheeled around the sky, ice shooting from his jaws. "How?"

But the dark blue dragon did not reply, instead holding my gaze for a split second longer. The message was clear - talk later, when the fight had ended.

No longer were the humans quite so confident. Before, they'd only had to worry about a few dragons. Now, a wyvern had joined the fight, spewing ice everywhere.

Taking advantage of their fear, I plummeted down, shooting towards the turquoise dragoness. Now, her master's eyes were glued to the wyvern, his cheeks flushed with alarm. Fire shot from my jaws, melting the dragoness's tail fin-ring.

She jerked from the sudden heat, having not noticed my presence. She stared, stunned, at the now liquid metal just above her tail fins. Slowly, she swung towards me, disbelief and gratitude shining in her yellow-green eyes.

Without warning, she tucked her wings against her flank, diving down towards the ground. A shrill scream cut through the air, as the human tried to grasp her chains to try to prevent himself from falling off.

From the corner of my eye, I spotted a sky blue dragoness racing towards me - the same one that had journeyed alongside me to Ukurauis so many months ago. Perched on her back, gripping her chains tightly, a human scowled, recognition alighting his mirthless hazel eyes.

"You have no idea how much trouble you have caused us, beast," he grumbled, digging his heels against the dragoness's flank. She stiffened, her lips curling back to reveal her fangs. A gesture not directed at me, but at her master.

The human yanked her chains; my only warning before she lunged towards me.

Darting out of the way just in time, I watched as she hurled past. Not waiting for her to attack me again, I raced behind her.

Realising that I was directly behind them, the human tugged at the blue dragoness's flanks again, steering her away from me.

Narrowing my eyes, I streaked forwards, nearing her tail. Fire streamed from my jaw, melting the metal controlling her tail fin. Satisfied, I stopped chasing, watching as she realised that she too, was free.

Glancing around, I could see the battle was much more fair. More dragons were free, with not less than a dozen still being controlled by humans. Soon, that number would dwindle down to zero, as the newly-freed dragons started to join in the fight.

Had Soriak been freed yet?

Curious, I turned back towards the pale green dragoness, whom had been watching the battle unfold. But she was not where she had been. Scanning the fields, I spotted her limping through the fields, her Master sitting on her back as he urged her to run faster.

With a snarl, I swept down towards them, landing further in front of them. My tail coiled back and forth as I watched Soriak halted. The human on her back froze, his grip tightening on her chains.

He was the same human that had been Soriak's master before she had escaped. Carrowan - yes, that was his name. Lord Raffael had reprimanded him in front of us. Had punished him, just  before the trip.

Slowly, I approached, my gaze freezing him in place.

The blood drained from his face, and his hazel eyes flashed with fear. Beads of sweat ran down his head. His hands trembled, shaking so much that I couldn't help but wonder if a human would be able to see it if they were standing beside me. Not that it mattered. 

Increasing my pace, I lumbered towards Soriak.

"Hurry up!" Carrowan screeched desperately, jerking her chains rapidly.

But Soriak ground her talons into the dirt, doing everything she could to defy her master. Knowing that she would be free soon if she did everything she could to remain rooted to the ground as the human kicked her flank and tugged her chains, each time more frantic than the last.

Smoke coiled from my jaws as I reached for the warmth in my throat. Carrowan's eyes widened, before he hastily climbed off Soriak's back, and fled towards the trees. I payed him little notice, instead watching as my fire devoured the pale green dragoness's tail fin-ring.

She was free, at last.

Her gaze met mine, her blue eyes shining with joy and relief.

"Its not over yet," I chuckled, flicking my tail towards Carrowan.

Locking her gaze on her master, the pale green dragoness growled loudly. She stepped forwards, lumbering towards the bolting human, but it quickly became evident that she would not be fast enough to catch up.

Spreading my wings, I launched into the air. A few rapid wing beats carried me in front of the human, who halted when he saw me. Unsure where to run, he stared at me, before glancing behind him.

Soriak lumbered closer, her fangs bared in a snarl. The human remained frozen, unable to do a thing as the pale green dragoness caught up to him.

No longer needed, my gaze raked across the sky. Where was my master? Was he still searching the mountains for me, trying to find me despite having only failed? Or were the humans punishing him now, too?

Carrowan cried out in pain. Moments later, his scream stopped abruptly, but I did not pay him so much as a glance.  Instead, I continued scanning the skies, checking yet again that master was not among them.

He wasn't.

Perhaps he'd been killed already, early on in the fights. Perhaps he was at a human city. But if he was still alive, and ever crossed paths with me again, he would not survive.

Around me, dragons started landing in the fields. Rutilus had landed near the Dragon Stables, talking to the dark purple dragoness - his mother. Standing further away from the majority of the dragons, Raegon stared at each of the dragons, only looking away when Kronx landed beside him.

They barely spoke; the dark blue drake marched towards me swiftly, beckoning for the black dragon to follow him with a flick of his tail.

Talons digging into the ground, I fidgeted nervously under Kronx's heavy stare. "Go get Rutilus," he ordered Raegon. "Then come back here. We must talk."

*~*

1124 words

I don't think I'll be able to update until Tuesday, unfortunately.

Yeah... I think there's definitely going to be more than 50 chapters. Maybe even 60. Which is good, right? More for you to read! XD

If you enjoyed, please vote and/or comment! :D