Chapter 54

Rain still trickled down my scales as I rested by the shore. Ahead of me, I could still see the churning waves, as the storm powered on. I didn't mind the rain - even enjoyed the feeling of the delicate drops splattering against my back. Enjoyed the earthly smells that it brought with it.

My stomach growled, churning with hunger.

Ah. Something I did not enjoy about the ongoing downpour. It left no way to hunt. Any prey in the area would surely have found shelter away from the rain - and those waves were to turbulent for my liking to try and catch fish.

Bored, I shifted my weight. Waiting for the rain to cease - that would surely allow the mountains to flush with life shortly after. But dark grey clouds smothered the sky, stretching as far as I could see. Not so much as showing a sign of the storm's end.

"At least it's not cold," Caelum chirped beside me, tilting her head ever so slightly. A shudder ran down her flank as she added, "That would be bad. Really bad."

She was not wrong. Had the temperature been cold, we would have all been miserable - not just impatient and bored as we waited for the storm to pass and a few other dragons to recover. We probably would have even been forced to have found shelter.

Still, I raked my gaze across the nearby mountains longingly. Staring at the rocky peaks - all of which had no trace of snow. What sort of creatures would live among them? Would they be big enough, for us to hunt? What would they taste like?

At the mere thought of food, my stomach rumbled. Reminding me yet again of my only growing hunger.

Irritated, I clenched my jaws, staring at the dark grey sky.

It had not changed.

Huffing in annoyance, I rested my head on my talons again. Feeling the rain splatter against my scales, before sliding down my flank. Watching as it rain bucketed into the churning waves - and as the dark grey clouds slowly rolled past.

Would it ever stop?

From the corner of my eye, I saw a flicker of movement. Instinctively, I twisted my head around, to see Kronx stand up. With a flex of his wings, he glanced down at each of us. "Come. We might as well fly... the rain won't stop for a while," his gaze lingered on Soriak, as though making sure she was well rested.

No one complained as we returned to the skies. After all, flying was better than waiting for the rain to pass.

"Storms such as this aren't uncommon here," Kronx rumbled, his voice barely loud enough to hear over the rain. "They're more seasonal, occurring more often that not in summer."

"Just as well summer's almost over," Rutilus grumbled, blinking a few drops of rain away from his eyes.

Several other dragons murmured their agreement, but the dark blue dragon in front of me only rumbled in amusement.

An hour passed, and with it, so did the rain. No longer was it bucketing and heavy, but just a few small sprinkles of rain here and there. A feeble end to a massive storm. Finally, the mountains were starting to stir with life. The piercing cries of birds split the air, whilst other animals finally came into the open.

"Look over there," Caelum breathed, staring at one of the animals. Following her gaze, I saw nothing at first. Blinking, I peered closer, barely making out the large, cat-like shape against the dark sandy-coloured rock.

"A mountain lion," Kronx instantly named the creature, obviously recognising it. 

But there were plenty of other animals, too. Strange goat-like creatures. Even a few elks wandered between the mountains, grazing among the green vegetation.