Chapter 32

"No!" A flash of red and gold streaked towards me. Split moments later, Rutilus was hovering beside me, trying to stop me from heeding the black drake's advice. "You would leave him behind - when he tried to help us escape?" 

His golden eyes glittered a challenge. 

The Black Beast rumbled, lashing his tail. Rutilus's gaze darted towards the bigger dragon, widening as he took in the added wounds and scars that had not been on his black flank only months before.

"Hacthling!" The Black Beast thundered, grey eyes darkening. A contorted snarl twisted across his maw - and for a split second, his struggle against Master was evident. "If you're want to be free, go now."

A final warning. 

Because the Black Beast knew that the Master would soon overpower him. No matter how much he did not want to, Master controlled where he went, using the black dragon's tail fin ring to steer him. 

But Rutilus did not move, his golden eyes glazed with determination. "No. We're not leaving you - not this time."

"When a dragon advises you to leave," a sonorous voice sliced through the air, echoing through te mountains. Instintively, I turned towards Kronx's cave, where the dark blue dragon was staring up at us, his tail sweeping back and forth. Snorting in disapproval, he finished, "you should go." 

The Black Beast stiffened, although his stormy grey eyes lit up in recognition. 

On his back, Master faltered, staring at Kronx in a mix of awe and disbelief. Heels slamming against the black drake's flank, he bellowed, "ATTACK!" 

Only the soft hammering of wingbeats could be heard as we stared at each other uncertaintly. Hesitantly. None of us completely sure what was about to happen. Heart pounding against my ribs, I retreated away slightly, not daring to draw any extra attention to myself. 

Further away, Kaiya and them amber drake ceased fighting, noticing the apprehensive silence. Both watched curiously. Cautiously. 

A soft growl emnated from Rutilus's thoat, breaking the silence. 

Suddenly, the Black Beast screeched as his tail fin snapped shut. With a startled yelp, he plummeted towards the mountains, flaring his wings in an attempt to catch the breeze. 

No longer falling, he turned towards us, his expression stony. Nostrils flaring, he lashed his tail in frustrations, pain and reluctance glittering in his otherwise blank gaze as he stared at us. Knowing what was about to happen, and having no choice but to oblige.

Master snapped a brief command.

Within moments, the Black Beast lunged towards Kronx. Deciding that attacking him would be better than fighting us. Anxious, I watched as he streaked forwards in a black blur towards the bigger dragon.

The dark blue drake's muscles bunched as he braced himself, waiting for the Black Beast to slam into him.

A muffled thud reverberated across the mountains, quickly followed by a yelp of pain. From which dragon, I could not tell.

Heart hammering against my ribs, I watched with wide eyes as Kronx snapped at the black dragon. Hoping that the fight would be over without either dragon seriously injured. After all, both dragons had helped me. All Kronx needed to do was attack Master, whom was still somehow clinging onto the Black Beast.

Both dragons lashed at each other, their bodies pressed close together. Snarls and roars echoed through the mountains, often muffled as they snapped at each other.

Yet as quickly as it started, they stopped fighting.

Blood coated the Black Beast's flank. Several deep scratches were gouged into his flank, some which I knew was bound to scar. But he did not seem to care. Crouched low to the ground, he wheezed as he slowly recovered his breath. Disbelief clouded his gaze as he stared up at familiar metal rings dangling from Kronx's jaws.

His tail fin ring.

Finally, he too, was free.

Master scrambled down from the Black Beast's back, his face pale. Aware of the fact that he was no longer in control - thus at the mercy of four dragons. Stumbling down the slope of the mountain, he shrieked a command.

A growl rumbled from my throat. Did Master realize that he was in no position to bark orders? When I had escaped, he'd been one of the lowest ranks of humans. Surely that hadn't changed since then – especially since he had lost his dragon?

Nonetheless, the amber dragon swerved down, the human on his back steering him towards Master. 

No. Snarling furiously, I threw myself forwards. There was no way I'd let the amber dragon take Master to safety; not if I could help it. With an enraged screech, I tucked my wings against my flank. 

Wind roared past me, rushing over my body as I rapidly descended towards Master. It was amusing, watching him stumble and skid down the mountain, trying to avoid injuring himself whilst waiting for the amber dragon to save him.

Having noticed my pursuit, the drake cried out in frustration. Knowing that he was bound to be punished if he didn't reach Master first. Pity stirred within me, recalling all of the times that I had been punished - by Master. Glancing apologetically up at the amber dragon, I hissed, "Now its time for revenge."

Something flickered within the amber drake's dark red eyes. Jealousy and longing. Yet nonetheless, they softened ever so slightly. He'd suffer another punishment willingly if it meant that one of the humans were punished.

But his human was still controlling him. Whether he wanted it or not, he had no choice but to fly towards Master. His red eyes met mine for a split second - begging for me to hurry up. Get to Master before him.

Tucking my wings even closer against my flank, I veered down, talons outstretched. Master dared glance up, his black eyes widening in horror as he saw me diving down. Suddenly desperate, he stumbled down the mountain, faster than before.

Faster or not, running was still pointless. His puny human legs could not carry him as fast as I could fly. Within moments, I flared my wings skidding to a halt as my talons grasped him.

He was smaller than I remembered. Before, I had been double his height. Now, as I stared down at him, I could have sworn that I was triple his height. Had I really grown that much in a few months? It didn't seem possible. Never had I grown so fast before.

Maybe its his demeanor, I sighed, shoving Master against the snow. My talons were pressed against his shoulders, and I stared down at him triumphantly. No longer is he so confident - but scared and helpless.

"Damn you, beast," Master snarled, black eyes boring into mine furiously. Even in such a dangerous situation, he still had the nerve to shout at me. But despite his bravado, his face was ghostly pale, almost as white as the snow around him.

My eyes glittered with intelligence, and I bared my fangs at him. Not bothering to say anything, as I knew he would not understand me, I leaned closer, amber eyes hardening. Letting him see my own hatred for him. Smoke curled from my jaws.

Master's eyes widened in horror.

Suddenly, something slammed into me, sending me skidding further down the mountain. With a grunt of pain, I blinked, trying to comprehend what had just happened.

A shadow fell over me. Peering up into the sky, I could see the amber dragon soaring into the air. Climbing onto his saddle, behind the other human, was Master.

*~*

1262 words

Yesterday, this book was 79th in fantasy. Today, it is 75th. Thank you all so much!!! :D

Please do drop a vote if you enjoyed - and hopefully send it further up the rankings. :)