Chapter 17

"Aren't we going to train outside today?" My voice echoed through the glowing cavern, as I stared at the dark blue dragon in surprise.

"Not today... I fear we may have drawn too much attention to ourselves," Kronx exclaimed, his silver eyes flicking from myself to Rutilus. His dark scales shone under the brighter blue light as he slid into the warm water once more.

Having been waiting for him up on the ledge, I exchanged a glance with the red drake beside me. More golden tendrils covered is wings, to the point that they were more gold than red. Jealously, I eyed his wings, wishing that I too, had another colour.

Rutilus ignored my stare, instead glancing at the dark blue drake in disbelief."Then what are we going to do? You don't mean that we are going to lie around here and do nothing all day!"

Kronx did not answer.

Sighing, I spread my wings and glided down, skimming the water's surface before I landed on a dark rock. Boredom welled within me as rested along the smooth stone. Was this what freedom was? Just waiting down, and doing nothing? I had always thought that freedom would be flying around when you wanted to, and not being bored. But here I was, draped across damp stones, bored.

All at once, something clicked.

Kronx had said that we had drawn to much attention to ourselves.

Did he mean he humans, or something else? From his stone cold eyes, and his silence. Normally, he would have answered Rutilus's questions. Instead, he appeared deep in thought as he stared into the distance.

"Do you mean the humans might find us?" Anxiously, I waited for an answer, hoped for an answer. Perhaps my question would be left unheard, just like the red drake's.

Kronx snorted, my voice snapping him away from his thoughts. His silver eyes narrowed on me, and I could have sworn that they were several shades darker than normal. For several minutes, he just stared at me, and I began to wonder once more if he had actually heard my question.

"You are free now, Argentum," the dark blue dragon rumbled finally, in a voice deeper than normal. As he slowly stood up, water cascaded down his back majestically. Kronx flared his wings slightly, and he held his head high in the air. Despite for being with him for nearly a week, his huge size still awed me. "Humans are no longer your biggest threat."

That had Rutilus's attention immediately. He had been resting in the warm water, but now, his gold eyes were stretched wide in shock. "What do you mean? Is it that Dragon King you were talking about?"

For a split second, pain glimmered in the dark dragon's eyes. But there was no trace of emotion in his voice as he answered. "The whole world is your enemy now. Creatures unlike any you've heard of, and places colder than we can bare. But yes, your biggest threat is the Dragon King... That is a lesson for another time."

"Then what can you teach us now? Fire-breathing?" Rutilus asked hopefully.

"No," Kronx settled back in the water, silently watching us in amusement. "You two can spar each other." His tail swept back and forth, and he waited patiently. Realising that that was what we would be doing today, I turned towards Rutilus.

The red drake was already stalking towards me, his eyes burning holes in me. Curling my lip, I flared my wings, ready to launch into the air. But Rutilus continued to approach, observing my every movement carefully.

Deciding I would not wait for him to attack me, I slowly circled the red dragon, bracing myself with each step. Water lapped upon one of my talons, and I realised I could not move any further. Hissing in annoyance, I leaped towards Rutilus, shooting towards his bulkier red form.

But he easily ducked out of the way, using his long red tail to lash me as I barrelled past. The cave wall appeared closer and closer, and I flared my wings, barely slowing down in time. With a screech, I jerked myself higher into the air, before diving back down at him once more.

Despite being my age, the red dragon towered over me. Bigger, stronger, heavier. Just fighting him, I would lose. But if I used my speed to my advantage, perhaps I would stand a chance. Not waiting for Rutilus to jump out of the way, I swerved around, taunting him as I rushed past.

Rutilus growled, his golden eyes focused on me. Slowing down, I merely circled the cavern, waiting for him to launch himself at me. I could see him bunch his muscles, and the change in his wing beat before he sprang towards me. Or where he presumed I would be in a few moments.

But I had been expecting it. With a quick gust of speed, I rose higher into the air, attacking the red drake as he soared right underneath me, flaring his wings to slow down with a startled yelp. Triumphant, I followed after him, gliding around the massive cave.

Suddenly, Rutilus streaked towards me, and not even a moment later, I felt his talons on my shoulders. With a grunt, he lowered me down carefully on the smooth, stone ground, although he still held his talons on my neck.

He had won - had used my own tactics against me.

Stifling disappointment, I climbed to my feet, and faced Kronx. But he was not looking at us, instead staring towards the entrance, his silver eyes stretched wide. A low growl rumbled in his throat, and quietly, he hissed, "Duck down!"

Alarmed, I quickly did, crawling towards the back of the cave in a desperate attempt to hide. Perhaps my silver scales would blend in well with the glowing cave wall. I hoped so. "What is it?"

I strained my ears, but I could hear nothing aside from a small splash as Rutilus submerged himself almost completely under the water. Only his head remained above the surface. Gold eyes met mine, anxiously.

Remembering what the ancient dragon had told us about the whole world being our enemy, I waited impatiently for an answer. Was it humans, or something completely different?

Kronx did not answer.

§

1051 words

The first few chapters have been edited - and changed rather dramatically. If you haven't already, please do go back and check chapter 1 - 7 out! 

Thank you!