Chapter 36

Something prodded at my shoulder. Jerking awake, I whipped my head around, only to see Rutilus.

"Come on," his voice was hushed, barely audible over the rippling water. With a flick of his tail, he gestured towards Kronx's sleeping form. "Its time to go."

Reluctantly, I glanced over at the dark blue dragon.  As much as I didn't want to admit it, this could be the last time I saw him. In our absence, he could fly to the island he was talking about, and live there for the next so many years. Even with what we'd learned yesterday, it would not be easy finding him.

A faint breeze stirred the cave as Rutilus quietly flew into the cave, drifting towards the tunnel that led to the ext. Even his wing-beats were softer than normal, barely audible as he waited for me to follow.

"Thank you," I whispered, gazing at Kronx. Of course, he would not hear what I'd just said, but I'd feel better knowing that I had. Unwillingly tearing my gaze of his unconscious form, I turned towards Rutilus. Solemnly spreading my wings, I leapt into the air, quietly soaring towards him.

Together, we shot through the long tunnel, and towards the awaiting night sky.

A cool breeze stirred at my wings, sending shivers down my spine. Endless amounts of stars decorated the dark sky, some hidden by the rolling clouds.

Upon seeing us, the Black Beast climbed steadily to his feet. Arching his back and spreading his wings, turned around, facing the south-west. Not saying so much as a word, he launched into the sky, rapidly picking up speed.

I hesitated. Twisting around, I examined the large mountain, my eyes landing on the entrance of the tunnel before me. On the other side, Kronx was still resting, unaware that Rutilus and I had just left the cave.

A pang of guilt stabbed at my heart.

"Argentum," Rutilus called, although his own eyes were darker than normal. "Hurry. We must leave."

Drawing in a deep breath, I turned away from the mountain. Heart racing, I stared after the rapidly shrinking shape in the sky which I knew was Raegon. He was taking us back to Fehïrk. Finally, we could have our revenge and rescue the other dragons. Rescue Soriak.

Releasing a shuddering breath, I stretched my wings. Not daring to glance behind me again, I raced forwards, intent on catching up to the Black Beast. Red and gold streaked beside me, as Rutilus raced after Raegon.

Swerving between mountains, we quickly caught up to the black dragon. Gradually, the mountains died away, instead replaced with forests covering endless small hills.

"Fly faster," the Black Beast grunted, pumping his wings a little harder. "We'll try to reach Fehïrk before the sun sets tomorrow."

Without a word, I sped up. It was strange to think that months ago, I would have struggled maintaining the speed. But now, after Kronx had helped me, I could easily fly faster without too much effort.

Hours slipped past. Eventually, a warm glow with orange and violet hues slowly rose above the horizon, announcing the return of the sun. With each passing moment, the hues rose higher into the sky, eating at the darker sky. Gradually, the stars died away as the sky lightened into a bright blue.

It was strange, watching the sun rise without any mountains to be seen. Over the past few months, I'd become accustomed to the monstrous stony peaks creating large shadows. But instead, all I could see were trees covering the sloping ground.

"Half way there," the Black Beast interrupted my thoughts, his black scales glittering under the sunlight. "When we reach Fehïrk, we'll hunt, and rest."

"But what if they see us, and capture us while we sleep?" Rutilus queried, a powerful beat of his wings pulling him in front of me. 

"They won't," Raegon chuckled, although his deeper voice was filled with utmost certainty. "Trust me, I still have a few tricks back from my days hunting the Dragon King."

"Can you tell us about him? The Dragon King," the red and gold drake questioned. Immediately, my head shot up, watching the Black Beast hopefully. Tossing his tail, Rutilus added, "Kronx didn't tell us much about him. Only that he's dangerous, and either forces imperial dragons to serve him, or kill them."

Raegon tensed. A low growl emanated from his throat, before he abruptly cut it off.

Minutes passed, and the tension thickened. Still, I watched him hopefully. Surely he could tell us more about the Dragon King? We knew so little of him, despite him posing a threat towards Rutilus.

Finally, the Black Beast released a long exhale. His wing-beats were forced, perhaps more so than normally. "I won't tell you how he came to power," he sighed, pronouncing each word slowly. Thoughtfully. "Kronx can fill you in on it later - after all, you are going to go back to him afterwards, yes?"

It was not a question - Raegon knew that we would go back to the dark blue dragon. But nonetheless, I dipped my head in confirmation.

"But what Kronx told you is true," the black dragon started, slowly spreading his wings as far as he could to glide on the wind. "Even after he became king, Argon wanted power. It seemed that overthrowing the previous Dragon King was not enough for him."

Argon. I'd heard that name before - when Kronx had been fighting the strange imperial dragon shortly after we'd arrived at his den. And then afterwards the dark blue dragon had explained that that was the Dragon King's name.

"What happened?" Rutilus wondered, once again beside me. His molten eyes were glowing curiously, wanting to know more of the dragon that Kronx rarely spoke of.

The Black Beast paused. "He wanted power. And he believed that the only way he could get that was by hunting down all of the imperials, giving them the option of becoming his imperial army," snorting, Raegon stared into the distant. When he continued, his voice was lower. Quieter. Darker. "As you said, if they didn't join him, he killed them. Now, not even twenty imperials are known to exist, and you, Rutilus, are the only one that is not in his wing."

"He's going to come after me, isn't he?" When he glanced towards me, his eyes were no longer bright and curious, but dark. Fearful. He knew that if the almighty and powerful Dragon King was to come after him, he'd have little chance.

"Yes. And he's going to give you the same option," the Black Beast said it so simply, without any emotion at all. But I knew better than to think that he didn't care. Having opposed to the Dragon King for so long, and even fighting him when he could, I knew that'd do everything in his power to stop that from happening.

Perhaps he knew that it was inevitable, despite him doing everything he could to stop it. Perhaps that was why he was so emotionless.

Regardless, the black dragon had fallen silent. With a grunt, he sped up, using the increased speed to stop us from asking him any more questions. 

*~*

1200 words

Whoop - third chapter in three days! If everything goes to plan, at least another two days of updates each day, and hopefully numerous ones next week too.

Don't forget to vote/comment!