Chapter 24

Flexing my wings, I stared at the dark blue dragon in surprise. Unlike yesterday, I did not feel even a glimmer of pain as I hesitantly stretched my wing. For even if it was gone, I did not want to risk the painful throb returning. "Are you sure?"

Kronx snorted in amusement, silver eyes glittering. "Do you not want to fly?" His deep, sonorous voice chuckled, the rumble echoing through the cavern. Not waiting for my answer, he added, "Nothing will happen - that's why we are taking it slow. Come on, leap into the air, and glide."

Both reluctant and excitement, I glanced at the dark blue dragon once more before staring higher up into the cavern. Sapphire crystals glittered across the earthy walls of the cavern, each one reflecting the warm golden glow of the fire which continued to blaze beside me.

Bunching my muscles, I raised my wings.

With one last glace at Kronx, I leaped into the air even as my wings swung down towards the earth - lifting me higher off the ground. Pumping my wings, I steadily climbed higher and higher into the air.

How I longed to stretch my wings and race out through the tunnel! To glide on the wind outside as I swerved between the massive mountains!

But I could not.

Even if Kronx was allowing me to start flying around inside his cavern, my wings were not ready to take on the wind currents on the other side of the tunnel. He was right; best to take it slow. Stay in the cave.

Eventually, I'd be soaring on the wind once more.

Relaxing, I glided around the cave, enjoying the sense of freedom which came with it. Despite being in a cave, I could fly anywhere I wanted too. Have the freedom of zipping up or down, rising higher into the air, or diving down so close to the smooth stone ground. It was a freedom that in my few days of being earthbound, I had lost.

Spreading my wings far out beside me, I swept over the glowing water. Heat radiated onto my scales, and my wingtips sliced through the rippling surface. Beautiful.

Further back behind the cave, Kronx was watching me. Intense silver eyes stared at me, carefully examining me as I steadily climbed higher into the cavern once more. Probably watching for any signs of pain, I mused, uneasy under the dark blue dragon's heavy gaze.

In the past few weeks, that had never changed. Perhaps it never would.

Wind rushed past me, almost causing me to shift direction slightly as Rutilus shot past. Grumbling in annoyance, I steadied myself before sending the red drake an irritated glance. But he was not looking; instead sweeping the cavern back and forth, his molten eyes gleaming - with challenge.

A piercing screech sliced through the air, even as the red dragon surged towards me. Showing no signs of stopping, I could only watch as he raced towards me.

Eyes wide, I clipped my wings to the side, diving down towards the ground at the last moment. Moments later, air rushed past above me, almost pushing me lower as the bright red dragon struggled to slow to a halt as he reached the cavern wall.

Having recovered from the abrupt movement, I hovered in the air, watching him as he feebly used his forelegs to shove himself away from the wall. Snorting in annoyance, Rutilus turned towards me, his gold eyes glittering.

I did not dare look away from him - just in case he decided to try to attack me once more.

But... why had he tried to attack me? Especially so soon after returning to the air! If he had crashed into me, I could have had a numerous more flightless days. Surely he too did not enjoy the same boring routine that we had had the past few days. Confused, I tilted my head, waiting for him to answer my silent question.

"I wasn't actually going to crash into you," his golden eyes held my gaze, watching me as his melodious voice spoke quietly. As he continued speaking, he glanced towards Kronx."But flightless days or not, your reflexes are as good as ever."

Still not an explanation.

Blinking slowly at the bright red dragon, I slowly backed away to make sure he didn't come racing towards me again. But he did not, instead just hovering in the air, as though nothing had happened.

Glancing around the cave, I tucked my wings in by my flank again, diving down. Air rushed past me, engulfing my wings as I slowly spread them open. Even as I veered back up into the sky, my worry of Rutilus attacking again dissipated, instead replaced by joy and excitement. 

"Argentum," a thunderous voice cut through the air, and I abruptly slowed down. Hovering in the air, I glanced around the cavern nervously, before glancing towards Kronx. Still sprawled across the cavern wall, his silver eyes were watching me intently - barely glancing at Rutilus who was watching on in confusion.

Uncertain, I waited for him to keep going.

"Come here," he boomed, still watching me.

Exchanging a baffled glance with Rutilus, I steadily veered down beside the dark blue dragon. Staring up at his massive bulk, I tipped my head. "What is it? Do I need to stop?" Surely that was why he had called me?

Silver eyes regarded me carefully, and Kronx leaned closer. My tail swept back and forth uneasily. Something about the way the dark blue dragon was examining me did not feel right. Was something wrong? What was going on?

He remained silent. Only the soft trickling of water could be heard as Rutilus landed further away, watching us carefully.

"Your wing - it is fully healed," the dark blue dragon murmured, his voice soft. Piercing silver eyes stared at my wings, examining them closely. "Strange. Dragons don't usually heal quite so fast, even in fire."

Eyes wide, I turned back towards Kronx. "What does that mean?"

"Nothing," the dark blue drake hurriedly said, turning away. Puzzled, I watched as he rose to his feet, walking slowly across the cavern. As though feeling my gaze, his head swung towards me. "Still - be careful. Don't put too much strain on your wing."

*~*

1063 words

Thank you for all the votes and comments!