8: Reptile

"As you can see,
I've never been a prodigy." 
By: unknown

*

"Are you okay?" Scott asks worriedly, watching my small figure walking the path to my house beside him.

I nod slowly, not able to shake the fear out of my system quite yet.

"Fine."

He sighs, opening the front door to my empty house.

"Sure you are." He mutters, ushering me in before closing it behind us.

I roll my eyes at his quiet remark.

"Stiles! Dad! I'm home!!" I call, turning towards the stairs expectantly.

Just like a puppy, Stiles rushes around the corner, smacking into the drywall and parading down the stairs in a flurry of limbs.

He wraps me into a protective hug and buries his face in my neck, letting out a relieved sigh.

"I'm so glad you're okay."

"Me too." I huff, reluctantly pulling away from him and tenderly running my fingers along the bruises that were quickly forming across my wrists.

"Scott! Oh my-holy shit! Did Derek do that!?" Stiles exclaims, pointing to Scott's torn apart stomach.

I stare at it with a mix of disgust and concern.

"You should probably get that checked out." I grimace, looking away from the wound.

"Yeah." The werewolf sighs, turning to leave.

"Be careful Scott." I urge, stopping him before he opens the door.

"You too Kate."

**

I close my door and press my back to it, sliding to the ground with my head in my hands.

When I stepped off the plane I didn't expect it to be like this, I wasn't prepared for any of this.
Maybe the doctor's are right, maybe I am fucked up...maybe I do need to be fixed.
What if I'm too broken to be fixed?
What then?
Do I just continue trying to live until the fateful day I'm finally free?
When does it stop? When will this end? Am I really this damaged?
Maybe I should've stayed in England. Then at least I'd have someone to watch me suffer through this pain and prescribe me medicine to make it a little easier.
Here I have nothing.
Sure there's Stiles, and Scott, and my Dad, but...they wouldn't get it, they never do, I've tried to explain multiple times, and they've tried to help me more times then I can count.
But it's hopeless.
I want life to return to how it was before my mother died.
I want my family back.

"Kate?"

I sniffle and forcefully wipe my eyes.

"Y-yeah?" I respond shakily.

Way to go Kate, way to be believable.

I roll my eyes at myself and clear my throat. "Yeah Stiles?"

"You up for a star wars marathon?" He suggests through the door.
A watery smile tugs on my lips and I wipe my eyes once again.

"Hell yeah." I grin, opening the door to let him in. He notices my puffy eyes and wet sleeves but says nothing about it.

"Good." He smirks, causing me to cock my head to the side in confusion, what's he up to now?

"But first we need to get my-our Jeep from the mechanic."