11: Utterly heckin screwed

"I just dont know how...to think less. If you know how, then teach me..."

Aishah Madadiy

***

I glared at the chemicals in front of me, my deep blue eyes burning holes through the dangerous particles as I mindlessly tinkered around with them, pouring random amounts into the giant beaker.

"Switch!" Harris yells boredly, looking up from his computer for a split second to roll his eyes.

I jump up from my seat as if it's on fire and rush to sit beside Lydia, glaring at Isaac as the boy smirks coyly, sliding onto the stool beside Stiles.

Oh shit.

I clear my throat and plaster a clearly forced smile onto my face, turning to a completely oblivious Lydia.

"So..." I grin, cracking my knuckles and grabbing a jar of chemicals.

"So?" She scoffs, plucking the jar out of my hands with her perfectly manicured finger tips.

"Science and stuff...uhm..." I frown, looking down at my converse.

She huffs, looking over at me with crossed arms just as Harris calls for us to switch.

I leap up from my chair once again and anxiously slide into a spot with Greenberg, bouncing my leg up and down nervously.

I forget how to breathe as Isaac sits next to the strawberry blonde.

Scott glances back at me in concern as I try to force air into my lungs.

If Lydia dies, it's our fault.

Mr. Harris rings a bell, signalling the end of our project and I cringe, looking over at the beaker infront of my face; sitting inside was a gross beige slime.

"If you catalyzed the reaction properly you should be looking at a crystal. And the part I'm sure you'll all enjoy, you can eat it."

My face contorts in disgust, and I slide the beaker over to Greenberg.

"Y-you can have it." I stutter, turning away from the horrific sludge to see Lydia about to take a bite of her perfectly formed crystal.

"Lydia!" Scott shouts, standing up from his table in shock, but it was too late, she had already stuck it in her mouth.

"What?" She questions, quirking an eyebrow at the boy.

"Nothing." He sighs, sitting down in disappointment.

I hid my face in my arms, staying that way until class was completely over.

"Katelyn, are you alright?" Scott asks worriedly.

"Yup! Totally completely fine." I nod hurriedly,  hopping up and rushing out of the classroom, two confused boys following after me.

I watch them get pulled into the coaches office by Allison and let out a sigh of relief.

They'll figure it out without me and everything will be fine.

I slide down my locker and hug my knees to my chest, pressing my cheek against the cold surface of my books and closing my eyes in relief.
Why do I have to be this way? Why can't I have confidence like Lydia and be able to talk to people like every other normal person without having to plan everything out in my head first.
I wish I was normal.

A tap on my shoulder wakes me from the thoughts, making me jump in suprise.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted to ask if you were okay."