Prologue

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

- I Corinthians 13:13

Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.

- Emily Dickinson

Scan the scene, one that is serene more often than not, and one would be met with the heartbreaking sight of one elleth sat alone, tears pouring from her eyes as she watched her father be carried back into the city, red staining his armour

Scan the scene, one that is serene more often than not, and one would be met with the heartbreaking sight of one elleth sat alone, tears pouring from her eyes as she watched her father be carried back into the city, red staining his armour. He was wounded.

Dread filled her heart, and with patience she waited to hear what had happened. Soon the news reached her ears that there was naught that could be done for her dear father, his death inevitable. Her brother held her close, trying to comfort his sister, but he found that he could not comfort both himself and his sister. He wept also.

A day passed, and Voronwe knew his time had come. He must leave this world. 

"Call in my eldest daughter," choked out the once mighty warrior, who now lay dying.

His daughter was called, and weeping, she knelt beside her father, holding her arms around herself as if a terrible chill had set within her. He looked into his daughter's eyes, and she knew. She knew he must die, that soon her father would be with her no more. 

She swallowed deeply and shut her eyes tightly, hoping and praying to Eru that he might live.

No, this could not be happening! Elves were not meant to die, her father was not meant to die! 

Oh, but maybe this was all a terrible dream, conjured up by-no, it was real. She knew by the terrible pit that widened in her chest at every moment, by the tears that ran down her face, by the blood stained bandages around her father's midsection.

"Anneth," said he, "my princess, my time has come. I must leave here." Anneth opened her mouth to speak, but he stopped her. "Say nothing, iell nin. I wish for you to know only that I love you. I know that there is a wonderful ellon that has been destined for you, and when you meet him, you shall know. Do not worry for my approval, it has been given already."

"Yes, Ada," she managed to reply, grasping her father's hand desperately. 

He touched her cheek gently, and spoke again. "There is but one thing I have to ask of you. Well, it is quite a silly thing, but, please, when I have departed, would you use my name for you more often? For me?"

"No, Ada, I will not, for you are not to depart today," she sobbed. "No, not this day, you will not!"

"Yes, auth iel nin, I must go. Remember, though you are not a warrior, you have a fighting spirit. Never give up, iell, never lose faith, and most important of all, never lose your love. With faith and love, you shall go great places, my princess. You shall forever be my battle maiden, whether it be that you battle with your hands or with your heart. Gi melin, Authiel." He smiled in spite of the pain, and in spite of the sadness that enveloped his daughter and was now choking her spirits. Voronwe took one last breath, and gathering a last bit of strength, pressed a kiss to her hand.