XIII

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

- Matthew 17:20

If faith was to be sought in its greatest and purest form, one would not look to a seasoned warrior to find it, though a warrior might have faith, neither would one look to a soul who has seen much of this world

If faith was to be sought in its greatest and purest form, one would not look to a seasoned warrior to find it, though a warrior might have faith, neither would one look to a soul who has seen much of this world. Instead, one would look a small child, whose faith truly is remarkable. These small children depend on their father and mother, and never do they doubt their parents ability to guard and protect them. They absorb all that is told to them, and they will believe in that which might seem fantastical or improbable, choosing to hope in that which is unseen.

At times this trust is misplaced and leads to children believing in things which are factually disproven, yet other times, the faith they bear is so great, and it leads to a hope and a trust in Eru, whom none can see, and yet many believe.

This is why young children are so given to fanciful ideology and improbable worlds full of glorious joy and marvelous jubilance. The trust they place in those close to them surpasses many other trusts, the way in which they view their guardians and trustworthy individuals who never shall abandon them and always shall protect them.

At the young age of ten, Anneth showed both these characteristics of faith and some of naivety. With faith, she trusted that each day her father left the home, he would return safely, she trusted that her mother would neglect her not and prepare her food, she knew her older brother would protect her from some of the terrifying ellyn if he must. And with naivety, she believed that all could be trusted and that she would marry a prince somehow.

So pure was her perception of the world, and in these days, much of the world was pure, many things still proved themselves to be undefiled, untouched, and unmarred by the careless finger of the darkness, not ruined by the jagged sword of evil.

Anneth grew to be an admirable young elleth, and though she did not hold the striking beauty so many ellith around her did, it was her great hope and faith in all things that drove some to admire her.

This faith that she held would endure for a while, until the time came for it to be tested greatly, more so than she ever imagined it would. It would seem as if it was being yanked from her grasp and pulled from her heart.

Just five months past, she had watched her father fade before her very eyes, seen as life was extinguished from his eyes, looked on while his body was taken.

One might believe five months should provide sufficient time for a grieving soul to recover, yet many who read this tale will not have known the curse of immortality. Five months is as a day to an elf, who lives from the day they are born, even unto the end of eternity, unless they should grieve the Valar and be imprisoned in the Halls of Mandos. The number of them that offend the servants of Eru are few in number, they easily can be counted, and so the majority are cursed to live the rest of eternity.