XIX

Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us.

- Ephesians 2:3-4

Hold fast to dreams,

For if dreams die

Life is a broken-winged bird,

That cannot fly.

- Langston Hughes

"When you marry, I declare that I shall be allowed to engage in a most violent fistfight with your husband

"When you marry, I declare that I shall be allowed to engage in a most violent fistfight with your husband."

"Brother, really, must you be so ridiculous in your searching for a fight?" Anneth chided, rolling her eyes.

Her brother laughed, and there were many who found it a wonder that he had not yet found a bride, for the ellon was fair of face and handsome, strong, and yet he was content to be solitary.

All while his sister wanted nothing more than to not live a life of solitude.

"No, I merely do not enjoy encouraging the idea of an ellon fawning over you and–" Voronen retched, shuddering at the thought.

"And what, Voronen?" Anneth responded with complete and utter amusement, laughter dancing in her eyes.

"And–" he shuddered again, "–oh, I can just imagine you just completely enthralled by the idea of a husband, Anneth! You are ridiculous, not I."

"Oh, but it is romantic and the perfect stuff of dreams!" she exclaimed, leaning on the edge of beginning one of her daydreaming spells. However, her actions were only meant to elicit a reaction from her brother, which worked perfectly. Voronen pushed her shoulder, immediately being met by a glare from his sister.

"You and your dreams." Voronen shook his head, on the surface appearing to be appalled by his sister's longings, though deep within him, he wished that Anneth could have all her dreams fulfilled, and that which her heart longed most for would be given her.

He saw in her what she could not see in herself, things such as courage, strength, and bravery. It was in her, he knew it, and someday it should make itself known, to the surprise of others and herself also. Voronen never would tell of this, for she believed she knew that strength and courage were not in her and would never believe that of herself.

Even as she complacently saw herself as a terrible warrior, bearing mediocre strength at the most, she had strength in her. It was the strength found in the hope and faith that she held in all that occurred around her, something he believed made her strong.

From there, the brother and sister walked together home, and were greeted by their father at the door, who ushered his two eldest children in the door gladly. Supper was eaten speedily, as usual, and much conversation soon followed. Laineth banged the table with a wooden spoon, reveling in the magnificent racket she was creating, giggling uncontrollably, much to the annoyance of all, though the annoyance was masked by the pure innocence and adorableness of the little elfling.