IX

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

- Philippians 4:6-7

Every unselfish act of love whispers God's name.

- Bob Goff

Voronwe had built the house with his own hands; his wife had assisted him, and truly they both were proud of their work

Voronwe had built the house with his own hands; his wife had assisted him, and truly they both were proud of their work. It was not overtly grand, nor was it painfully simple, but precisely what he had imagined.

It was built of wood and brick, the former that now was a gleaming yellow but would later become a homely brown. The foundation was fashioned of brick, and from it the wood walls rose. There was a door, but it was quite simple, for in these days there was no need for locks and barring of the entrances. A few stone steps led to the doorway, and upon entering, there was to the right a sitting room, furnished with upholstered furniture, a fireplace opposite the entrance.

A small kitchen with a stove on the wall farthest from the door adjoined with an equally small dining room that was directly across from the sitting room, the largest bedroom in the house diagonal to it. There was a simple staircase leading to a second floor, where three rooms were placed.

Oil lamps were in many corners of the house to light it during dark nights, and a great deal of the walls had windows to let the light in.

On bright summer days and airy spring ones, sunlight would stream brilliantly through the windows, the light bouncing off shining vases that were placed thoughtfully on the tables. When spring's beautiful flowers and fragrant blossoms came, their lovely scents would perfume the house

in the form of flower arrangements and open windows.

When autumn came, leaves would bounce of the glass windows, their shades of red and gold sifting through the crystal panes. Often would a gust of wind bring a hoard of leaves to the windows, and then they would sift off again.

Winter brought chilly evenings, and the windows were kept closed at all times. Bare were the trees, their leaves gone, having been stripped by the fall. On rare occasions, snow would fall, heaping gleaming white ice shining on the sills of each window.

A year passed from the time Voronwe completed the house, and it still was a home to only two. Yet it was not to be so for long, for soon afterward, Lindeth came to him early one spring morn with a brilliant smile on her face. He needed not to ask what had made her so glad, for he knew. In one sweeping motion, he took his wife in his arms and kissed her, and joy overflowed in his heart.

It was another year before he held his firstborn son, who they called Voronen.

Not but ten years passed and they had yet another child, a girl, who was named Anneth, and two more daughters followed, Laineth and Amarwe.